Appocs 07 Hoe Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AppocAlexx

Darth Appocalexx
Reaction score
Recently bought an 2007 Tahoe 5.3L 4x4. Having this thing for about a month or so now I have found some things here and there that need some attention and so far nothing too crazy, standard wear and tear for an Alaskan truck. Luckily this thang came from the greatest state in the US, TEXAS and is clear of all the really bad things that Alaska has to offer to vehicles. With summer coming the weather is nicer and make it easier for me to work on my vehicles so I wanted to get this thread started and will upload some pics later and some of the small things I have done thus far. Enjoy and I am always up for suggestions.

Mods Im looking into now:

Will be adding 3rd row seating eventually, iv got family coming to visit and really don't want to mess around with taking 2 vehicles everywhere.

Looking into HD shocks, possibly the ready lift leveling shocks for the front and some adjustable shocks for the rear. I will be towing my TT with this and with the stock shocks still under it I can feel how worn out the suspension is when pulling the trailer.

I am searching around for my mirror replacement options. I really like the Esky side mirrors with the lighted goodies on them but, really need some towing mirrors. Plus I like the look of the bigger mirrors anyways. Hopefully I can find some with lights on them.

Started on some of the audio upgrades, head unit and door speakers. This summer one thing I will try and hit on is figuring out how to add a sub. I have some ideas and will work on them soon. #1 idea adding sub to the driver side rear, underneath the panel in the cargo area. #2 is adding 2-4 8' subs to the doors. Only issue with the doors is figuring out how to have the right air space for them. #3 is doing the infamous front center console sub, but building my own. I am not spending 500+$$ on sub and amp combo when I know I can build a box.

A few small things I will work on this summer as well are painting some of the exterior/interior parts and engine bay parts, nothing crazy. A few parts are the engine cover, radiator cover, front grille, bug shield (if I don't end up removing it), replacing door handles with painted door handles, until I get new mirrors I will paint the mirror covers that are chrome now or just remove the chrome caps on them, some of the dash parts will be painted. I'm sure once I get into this stuff ill find some other small parts to remove or paint as I go.

Researching stuff for the tunes that we can do to this for better performance. And along with that will work on getting more power to wheels.

Later future:

For sure Esky third brake light and tails, they look so sick.

I cant decide on 4inch or 6inch lift, but I have some time to think about it, lol. Along with the lift I will get some bigger tires, not sure on size yet but nothing too cray cray, I have a look im going for and will make my mind up when I get to that point.

If I am able to will get some wheels with the lift and tires but most likely have to spread out the $$.

Have done some reading about upgrading to HD suspension components and will see what I need to do for that after I get the lift on.

Im sure I will find more things to add or do as I go along but im in this for the long haul. Iv always been a huge fan of the NBS Z71 Hoe and when these came out I was kind of torn between the two. With all the small things I have found wrong in regards to manufacturing and design on this NNBS I would say my liking is leaning towards the NBS still, but the NNBS exterior looks mean as hell to me lifted and slammed. As I go along I may even end up getting the wife an NNBS in the future. The only way I can see me getting rid of this is totaling it or letting the wife take control over it. Most likely keep it tho.

Sorry for the long post, hopefully some will find this entertaining.

- Alex

OP
OP
AppocAlexx

AppocAlexx

Darth Appocalexx
Reaction score
Just some of the things I have done so far nothing big.

FBD47426-55EC-41EC-A445-DAB2DA287E07_zps7wp1b2tz.jpg

Not the prettiest job but looks good enough for now, eventually I want to get some high end highs for this spot, but this will do for now. I had use a dremel to make the holes and also had to make holes a bit bigger on the actual pillar it self. For the most part pretty easy, took me about 30 min minus the time for the paint to dry.

7CDD9D50-891E-4471-8518-659FA3B54C7A_zpseycabm6y.jpg

I used the factory speaker and mounting bracket so I did not have to buy an aftermarket bracket for the speakers. Pretty easy, just break off the speaker cone and then the plastic bracing on the rear that connect to the speaker magnet and pretty much good to go. My door speakers were just right diameter for the bracket to I did not have to break off the lip you see in this picture, some speakers you may have to. I was able to do this with all four door speakers.

892C4E98-C637-4FAF-BF16-4564381022A4_zpsejqus5es.jpg

Added the metra speaker covers on the rear of the bracket for protection and added sound quality. Not sure if they made a difference in sound quality, only saying this bc other have said they help with directing the sound towards the inside of the truck and not the inside of the door. I was mostly concerned about the water and dirt that gets inside the door, so should help for that.

8EEE720C-D37A-4218-92B1-10AD08D6AD98_zpsahvcouzc.jpg

Pioneer AVH-270BT, hands free Bluetooth, DVD/MP3, Ipod, Aux Cord, 3 amp outputs, rear view camera input, 1 monitor output. Pretty much everything I was needing, and for 200 bones I was pretty happy with it. Only con so far is it sometime will have some lag and will restart on its own but otherwise its a small issues nothing real concerning. Will eventually get a more high end double din with NAV and all the goodies like this one plus more functions better settings. Working on getting the wiring and mounting spots for the USB/AUX cords in the center console right now only have a hole and cords sitting in the console. Also will be getting the back up camera eventually. Will post up dates when done.

70B0B529-03A6-4690-870F-6857BC230F41_zpszkshw5n7.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
AppocAlexx

AppocAlexx

Darth Appocalexx
Reaction score
M92_machined_6lug_zpsneqyx7ov.jpg

Ordered these last night with black lugs and my TPMS since my truck came with out them. Now I can get rid of that pesky TPMS light on the dash.

These are the MKW M92 series, 20"x9" 6x139.7 -10 offset.

I have done some searches and made some posts on how the -10 offset will sit on our trucks and no response yet, hopefully soon I can get an idea. I can always return within 30 days so once I get them in and test fit one before I start mounting them ill get my answer for the most part. Should be in a within a week or so. Will be sticking with my factory tires 265/55/20s if I remember correctly, they are in great shape and hopefully wont look too off the wall but if so o well, we will see. Will post updates eventually.

Last edited:

massivespl

I'm not mean, I'm honest.
Reaction score
M92_machined_6lug_zpsneqyx7ov.jpg

Ordered these last night with black lugs and my TPMS since my truck came with out them. Now I can get rid of that pesky TPMS light on the dash.

These are the MKW M92 series, 20"x9" 6x139.7 -10 offset.

I have done some searches and made some posts on how the -10 offset will sit on our trucks and no response yet, hopefully soon I can get an idea. I can always return within 30 days so once I get them in and test fit one before I start mounting them ill get my answer for the most part. Should be in a within a week or so. Will be sticking with my factory tires 265/70/20s if I remember correctly, they are in great shape and hopefully wont look too off the wall but if so o well, we will see. Will post updates eventually.

That rim being 9" wide and -10offset they should stick out about 1inch... Your stock tires should be 275/55/20... With that offset your prolly not going to be able to go bigger without cutting due to rubbing.

OP
OP
AppocAlexx

AppocAlexx

Darth Appocalexx
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, and thanks for the correction on tire size. I'm fine with the trimming when needed. The most I will be doing is a leveling kit up front and maybe a 1/4" or 1" spacer in the rear. Eventually I would like to go with 33s and that will most likely be the biggest I will ever go. Not sure if I will be doing the 33s in the near future or not.

I was a little unsure after doing some research and reading some miss leading info here and there that I was getting a bit confused with the whole offset of +/- with regards to the +35 off set of the factory wheels. I have been trying to find a good photo of someone that stated they have either -10 or -12 offset so I could get a good idea of what I would be looking at.

OP
OP
AppocAlexx

AppocAlexx

Darth Appocalexx
Reaction score
Here is a picture of how the Tahoe sits with a 179 RPod 20' trailer. Rides pretty good for worn out stock suspension. I do need to get some heavier duty shocks for sure though.

80A912AE-AC72-43DC-819F-76085865A6E7_zps3mf0ukbh.jpg

OP
OP
AppocAlexx

AppocAlexx

Darth Appocalexx
Reaction score
Look what was at my door today when I got home. Just waiting on lugs and TPMS to get here and hopefully this weekend I can get these bad boys on the hoe!

9D9BB5C6-21AD-4DF9-8D4C-21842316E260_zpsyfhzolnn.jpg

OP
OP
AppocAlexx

AppocAlexx

Darth Appocalexx
Reaction score
Got my nuts I mean lug nuts in today. Also ordered my hub centric rings today. Im gunna roll for a few days while I wait for them to get in. If I can get a couple hours away from home tomorrow ill get these wheels mounted up and installed, If not tomorrow then for sure Sunday.

Also got a used billet leveling kit from a fellow TYF member. Thanks again @Jonah52.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts