anyone used speaker adapter brackets in their doors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leonpiper69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They look cheap and I don't have the free time to make some.

I was wondering if the scoche were as cheap as they look? I heard the Metra are better but they don't list one for the Tahoe and the one that will "fit" the tahoe looks like it is not really thick and I worry about the magnet on the new speaker being in the way of the window.

ChristopherS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Leon ..

I bought the Metra ones off Amazon for the front and the rear doors. I put Rockford Fosgate's in the front and Pyle Mid Bass units in the rear. The adaptors are quite sturdy and I had no clearance issues. I thought about making my own and then came to my senses ... total PITA. If you haven't got em yet, ...don't hesitate.

GL

2007 Tahoe BLK PPV

Drok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea used them also, forget what ones. They worked great except the speakers i used were not a great fit. I think it was because they were a little bit bigger then factory ones

OP
OP
leonpiper69

leonpiper69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I managed to get the pass side done. Sound deadened and door panel back on etc.

Using JL C5-650 s interestingly I have the pass running off the radio until I install the amp (going to be a loooooong process) so right now I am kind of A/Bing the factory vs JL front speaker run just off the radio.

I seriously hope the JLs really come alive with some real power to them. the stockers sound a little better LOL.

I ended up getting the Scosche brackets. Felt a little cheap but once I had foam on the brackets and foam on the mids and then had them solidly mounted they seem "ok". It would be better if the back of the bracket where it touches the door was wider instead of just being a thin ring, if it L-ed so it was a flat base the foam tape would have more to bite on. I know the thin ring is sealed but would just feel better with a nice wide flat.

And of course you have to snap the inside bits off the adapter because it is afterall made to fit a 6 1/2 and a 6 3/4 and the JLs are 6 3/4. But after that they fit the JL well. One thing that did reveal how cheap the plastic is....the speaker mounting screws wanted to strip out of the bracket very easily. Simple fix, take the little mettle J-nut clips that come with the speakers and cut them with tin snips and use them as nuts on the backside of the bracket.

OP
OP
leonpiper69

leonpiper69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
WOW!!!! Very impresses overall. glad I sound deadened the doors (even the outer skins). Brackets worked fine.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recall someone hollowing out the stock speaker and using it's outer ring as an adapter bracket. I think they just laid it on the concrete with the magnet up and stomped on it to snap everything free. If you were gonna trash your stock speakers, this may be an option if you don't have or don't wanna buy the brackets.

OP
OP
leonpiper69

leonpiper69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Personally I think that is a hack thing to do. I would rather make custom ones. Second, I never destroy stock stuff, it gets boxed up and put away. If I ever want to pull the stuff I can revert to stock. I considered making custom a pillars but I would get a nice set from a junkyard to destroy and put away the originals.

B) the stock speakers if torn apart are not big enough to accommodate quality speakers. Just for laughs I laid the JL C5-650s over the orig. and it isn't even close.

badandyturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the stock speakers as adapters. I just cut out the speaker and mounted the new ones to the plastic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues