Anyone running 255/80r17 ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jackleg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm looking for a tall and narrow tire for the 07 Tahoe for the snow. I have the 265/70r17 now ~31.5 x 10.5
Anyone run 255/80r17?
Looks to be about 33" x 10.

OP
OP
J

Jackleg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking at the Toyo open country a/t II or Cooper Discovery S/T Maxx.
Many years ago I had a '80 K20 snow plow truck. It had 33x12.50x16.5 tires. That was terrible in the snow- especially in heavy slush it would be all over the place. I got some tall and narrow pizza cutter tires and they were awesome.
I'm looking for something taller but not wider (or more narrow) to fit the common 17" steel Chevy wheels and it seems that the Tahoe should clear 33" tires w/front leveling kit and maybe some inner fender tweaking.

lawfarm

Reaction score
I run 275/70R18 BFGs on my 2007 Yukon. I was running a RC spacer lift up front, but now use the Rancho Quik-Lift. I had to do trimming on the front mudflaps, and had to do the trimming on the supports for the front of the wheelwell liner (and then pull the liner forward). Everything just barely squeaks in. Mine run 10.8" wide and 33.2" tall by spec.

Your stated rating would be 34.1" tall and 10" wide. I don't think they'll fit without a LOT of work...I don't have that extra 1/2" of sidewall clearance, even with upgrades on mine.

That said, I'm loving the 275/70R18 for the same reason: tall and skinny is perfect in snow, rain, and mud that has a bottom to it.