Anyone having a problem with Android Auto with the latest update?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kittmaster

Reaction score
Yukon XL, 2016, IO5 radio system, Samsung Galaxy S6 on Version 7 (Nougat)

Onstar sent out a notice about a week or two ago about a big update and it will happen over night......blah blah blah.....since then, when I use google maps via USB connection, I keep getting "searching for GPS" on the screen constantly which I've never seen before and it keeps messing up exactly where the truck is and sometimes places me miles away. It will sometimes glitch back to my current location, other times the screen is jammed on some position I "was" but doesn't update the screen any more.

I have the latest Google maps on there which I believe is 9.53.1 which is the latest in the google app store as of this posting.

Before the update, it worked flawlessly.

When I pull the usb cable the phone resumes on the phone work perfectly right down to the turn section etc....no sign of "searching for GPS" at all.....and phone is located in the same exact location in the truck to verify the issue.....plug it back in and hit android auto......blam, all screwed up.

Anyone seeing anything similar?

Second issue, I always keep the center screen on the "Trip A" screen and use it nearly 100% of the time on the "info" tab area. I can't figure it, but 90% of the times, when I start up the truck, it will start back up on the last screen in that area. 10% of the other times, I find it lands on the "radio" tab or the "nav" tab, basically areas that I don't use.

I can't sort out what could be causing the issue and my dealer is pretty good yet they haven't heard of the issue yet either........anyone else seeing this odd behavior?

Thank you,
Chris

Double D

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same issue. I lose the connection all the time, on the truck screen, not on the phone. It doesn't matter if I am in a metro area, or a rural area. It's really frustrating! BTW, I am driving a 2017 Tahoe LT.
It does not have OEM Nav, so I try to use Android Auto, but I can't count on it. Also, I have tried both Google maps, as well as Waze. I like the Waze app better, but I lose the connection through the Android Auto mid route on both apps.
I was hoping to find a fix on this forum, but have not found anything yet. Have you?

OP
OP
Kittmaster

Kittmaster

Reaction score
I have the same issue. I lose the connection all the time, on the truck screen, not on the phone. It doesn't matter if I am in a metro area, or a rural area. It's really frustrating! BTW, I am driving a 2017 Tahoe LT.
It does not have OEM Nav, so I try to use Android Auto, but I can't count on it. Also, I have tried both Google maps, as well as Waze. I like the Waze app better, but I lose the connection through the Android Auto mid route on both apps.
I was hoping to find a fix on this forum, but have not found anything yet. Have you?

I have, but you're not going to like the answer..... a buddy of mine had an iPhone 5s that he just gave me (about 9 months ago) and I activated it on my Sprint plan as another "bill" but using CarPlay over Android Auto has been a leaps and bounds venture. I don't run into this disconnection issue.......at all. The phone lives in the truck 24/7 and it just works....score one for Apple (which as a company I hate).

Now some caveats...initially I tried this in winter with my wife's iPhone 7, left it overnight in a 20 degree overnight temp......next day the screen was damaged.....found out those phones are not receptive to low temperatures.....even if gradual....expensive lesson to replace her phone with an iPhone Xr.

My 5s was left in the cold once too....it survived without issue (apparently more robust)..but will not temp that fate again....on top of temps in 30/40.....the battery life while it is dormant drops off.........fast.....

So in the winter/cold weather, the phone comes inside EVERY night.....in the spring/summer/fall.......no issues leaving in the car.

Also note, that even in good weather, you have about 4 days before the battery dies and takes about 30 minutes to "recover" enough to reboot it......so you're kind of chasing the battery curve if you don't use the truck daily. It will survive over the weekend, but again, it's a phone with all the issues of a phone....but to combat this "AA" problem, it has been a godsend.

Hope this helps you a bit....

But if you really want to go the nuclear option and be done with this......get an IO6 module, GPS antenna and diplexer and upgrade to factory nav. It will always be there, always be ready, and is part of the vehicle. Note that the VIN of your vehicle must be programmed into the IO6 for it work, but that is part of the process to those sellers that sell it as a package. I am still planning to buy from MVI to get my unit as eventually I'll want it to be part of the truck and be done with these workarounds.....I just wish they would figure out how to put google maps on it.....LOL.

LMK if you have any more questions.

Best,
Chris

warndogg

Reaction score
Yukon XL, 2016, IO5 radio system, Samsung Galaxy S6 on Version 7 (Nougat)

Onstar sent out a notice about a week or two ago about a big update and it will happen over night......blah blah blah.....since then, when I use google maps via USB connection, I keep getting "searching for GPS" on the screen constantly which I've never seen before and it keeps messing up exactly where the truck is and sometimes places me miles away. It will sometimes glitch back to my current location, other times the screen is jammed on some position I "was" but doesn't update the screen any more.

I have the latest Google maps on there which I believe is 9.53.1 which is the latest in the google app store as of this posting.

Before the update, it worked flawlessly.

When I pull the usb cable the phone resumes on the phone work perfectly right down to the turn section etc....no sign of "searching for GPS" at all.....and phone is located in the same exact location in the truck to verify the issue.....plug it back in and hit android auto......blam, all screwed up.

Anyone seeing anything similar?

Second issue, I always keep the center screen on the "Trip A" screen and use it nearly 100% of the time on the "info" tab area. I can't figure it, but 90% of the times, when I start up the truck, it will start back up on the last screen in that area. 10% of the other times, I find it lands on the "radio" tab or the "nav" tab, basically areas that I don't use.

I can't sort out what could be causing the issue and my dealer is pretty good yet they haven't heard of the issue yet either........anyone else seeing this odd behavior?

Thank you,
Chris

Check to make sure your phone is not in power saving mode. For some reason android auto nav wont work when your phone is in this mode.

OP
OP
Kittmaster

Kittmaster

Reaction score
Check to make sure your phone is not in power saving mode. For some reason android auto nav wont work when your phone is in this mode.

I have, way beyond that, it has something to do with the power down hook in the gmc infotainment system, they haven't don't appear interested in correcting it. Power save was one of the first things I did just to get it to navigate, let alone reconnect.

Double D

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I have it back in the dealership again. The first time I took it in, they replaced the xm antenna. Said there was a bulletin on it. Got it halfway home and the xm stopped working again. Since it goes on and off, it was off when I dropped it off, and of course when they got around to looking at it, it was working. Sheese! So now they said they did a global positioning reset. Basically unhooked the battery cables, let it sit for a while, hook them back up and everything is supposed to reboot. It's supposedly working now. I will pick it up tomorrow and see how long it stays connected. I have a feeling it will be back in the shop again, trying to get it resolved.

Double D

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Dealership called, said they test drove the vehicle and the xm radio is working fine. Went to pick it up, went outside and started it up..........sure enough, it's not working! Didn't even leave the parking lot. Once again the xm presets were grayed out and not working, "reception may be blocked" message was on the screen again, even though it was outside, the fm and am were working fine. This time one of the techs came out and took a picture of it to forward to GM since they were not getting an error code to forward. Apparently GM will not authorize them to replace the xm module without an error code, so hopefully this picture will get things rolling. It's really getting frustrating to keep having to take it back in, trying to get the same thing fixed once and for all!
I will keep you all posted, as it looks like I am not the only one having this issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442