Anyone else brave enough to admit to this mistake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For more than the first year of ownership of my Denali I had unlocked the door by pressing the small chrome button on the door handle with my thumb and then opening the door.

One day a lightbulb went off in which I realized if I merely place my hand on the handle it would in fact likewise cover the unlock button while opening.
Game changer! :laughing1:

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For more than the first year of ownership of my Denali I had unlocked the door by pressing the small chrome button on the door handle with my thumb and then opening the door.

One day a lightbulb went off in which I realized if I merely place my hand on the handle it would in fact likewise cover the unlock button while opening.
I did this when my mom first got her 2011 grand Cherokee limited. I was using the button and she would just walk up and put her hand on the handle and it would open. I’m like really?!? Lol. Apparently I’d been doing it wrong the whole time!

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still don’t understand why GM places a physical button on the door handle. My Current BMW and an old Toyota we used to have both have sensors that sense your hand just bearly touching the door handle, at which point it unlocks.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still don’t understand why GM places a physical button on the door handle. My Current BMW and an old Toyota we used to have both have sensors that sense your hand just bearly touching the door handle, at which point it unlocks.

it's for locking purposes...

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's for locking purposes...

What I mean is the technology exists to both lock and unlock without a button, as BMW’s and other vehicles have had for over a decade. They use a sensor that just senses when your hand touches the handle anywhere on the handle. You don’t need a little button from a technology perspective. I don’t understand why GM won’t upgrade their door handles to buttonless lock/unlock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got it...i thought they still had a button type only that it's more flush rather than slightly raised. I know my jeep and a few MB i've been in still have a separate section designated for locking while the unlocking is truly passive and just needs hand to touch back area of handle.

jeffbco

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You still have to depress the chrome button to unlock - just grabbing the handle doesn't unlock (unless of course your grab of the handle also depresses the chrome button) - at least this is the way it works on my 2017 Yukon Denali.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I mean is the technology exists to both lock and unlock without a button, as BMW’s and other vehicles have had for over a decade. They use a sensor that just senses when your hand touches the handle anywhere on the handle. You don’t need a little button from a technology perspective. I don’t understand why GM won’t upgrade their door handles to buttonless lock/unlock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The caddy doesn’t have a button. It’s just a sensor inside the handle that unlocks. I prefer it to be a button instead of a sensor. The sensors are way too sensitive and every time I walk by it with the pressure washer wand while I’m washing it, it will lock or unlock. Lights are going on and off and it drives me crazy! I’d rather it be a button that isn’t so sensitive and doesn’t engage every time I walk by with the key in my pocket! Haha.

UrbanSuburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I just learned two things, I did not know about the button on the door opens by just covering it. I will have to try that when I get back from assignment. Also I wondered why when I was washing the Wifes Dodge Journey, I would hear the doors clicking and the lights coming on. Mystery solved... Thanks. Now one last mystery, do the Key fobs no longer control the memory function when pressing unlocked? I know I can press either mem 1 or 2 and hold it or press the start button but on my old sub and sts I was able to just press unlock with fob and all settings were in place for me. I hope this is something I doing wrong, the settings are turned on in the Radio control head for it.

jeffbco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I just learned two things, I did not know about the button on the door opens by just covering it. I will have to try that when I get back from assignment. Also I wondered why when I was washing the Wifes Dodge Journey, I would hear the doors clicking and the lights coming on. Mystery solved... Thanks. Now one last mystery, do the Key fobs no longer control the memory function when pressing unlocked? I know I can press either mem 1 or 2 and hold it or press the start button but on my old sub and sts I was able to just press unlock with fob and all settings were in place for me. I hope this is something I doing wrong, the settings are turned on in the Radio control head for it.
Are we talking Dodges or GM products? Covering the button on a 2017 Yukon Denali does not unlock the door - you have to physically push the button.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firstcaddy