Anyone add washers between flexplate and torque converter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm installing a Performabuilt level 3 4l60e and FTI 2800 stall torque converter and FTI says if my gap between flexplate and converter pads is more than .187 " I need to shim with .060" washers between the converter and flexplate. I've tried everything I can think of which mainly consists of using petroleum jelly on my finger to make the washer stick to it while I try to slide it behind the flexplate. I can't see even with an inspection mirror if the washer is in the right place and every time I think I have one or two and have bolts started, they fall out when I turn the flexplate to the next one. My gap is barely over the .187 , .20. If anyone has a cheat as far as installing the shime please let me know. It could be the TCI flexplate has a weird pad that's adding to the issue.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could u not add a drop of super glue to each washer & then when dry, put screw back in?

or stick a magnet on a screw driver & put washer @ tip & then insert bolt?
do not tighten until all are in

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
or drop out trans & glue washer , then stab it back in

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
could u not add a drop of super glue to each washer & then when dry, put screw back in?

or stick a magnet on a screw driver & put washer @ tip & then insert bolt?
do not tighten until all are in
No and no. Can't even get the washer into place. The hole is 1 1/2" from the edge of the flywheel and behind it where you can't get to it with anything except a single finger.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
or drop out trans & glue washer , then stab it back in
That's the only possibility that I see but this has been a real ***** to get this far. The trans company said there should be about 1/4" and I'm less than that but barely over the 3/16" the torque converter people say.

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you can do it, ive done it multiple times. If its being a real pain I will add a touch of black silicone to make the one side sticky to hold onto the flexplate while i get it in position.

6speedblazer

Reaction score
glue a washer to a piece of tig filler rod so it looks like a lolipop. bend tig wire and feed it behind the flex plate. start bolt and then snap off the tig wire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dprdmd