Any issues with lux upgrade with aftermarket head unit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMEngland88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Okay, so because I might be in the market for a new amp for my Bose system, I've been reading up on the Lux upgrade. I just recently purchased a new nav unit (aftermarket) for the truck and installed it with the PAC RP5-GM11 to integrate with the Bose. Everything went smooth and it integrated great (minus SWC, but we'll save that for another day). My question now is, now that I'm running an aftermarket head unit, would it still be worth it to upgrade to the Lux amp? Will there be any issues? From what I understand the Lux amp has a DSP in it and is much more integrated with the truck, so will the fact that I'm running an aftermarket head unit make the swap more painful? I really don't want to bother with going full aftermarket system right now, but if I can swap the amp, which I can get around 100 bucks, and have much better sound, I'd consider that worth it seeing as how I might be replacing my amp anyway. I just don't want to follow the swap instructions that I've found and be hacking up wires and then come to find out it won't work with the current headunit/PAC RP5-GM11 setup I just installed. Input is welcome. Like I said, really not looking to go full aftermarket at the moment, got too much other stuff on both the Tahoe and my BMW to worry about. Thanks!!!

OP
OP
J

JMEngland88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update

Went ahead and ordered a LUX amp off ebay. Moved some wires around at the amp and it's good to go. Running an Android nav unit with the PAC module and it interfaced perfectly with the LUX conversion. The LUX amp sounds incredible compared to the premium Bose. Noticeably more power, and much clearer sound. Took me about 3 hours and a hundred bucks to do the amp swap, so not bad seeing as how I needed a new amp anyway.

Tahoe816

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update

Went ahead and ordered a LUX amp off ebay. Moved some wires around at the amp and it's good to go. Running an Android nav unit with the PAC module and it interfaced perfectly with the LUX conversion. The LUX amp sounds incredible compared to the premium Bose. Noticeably more power, and much clearer sound. Took me about 3 hours and a hundred bucks to do the amp swap, so not bad seeing as how I needed a new amp anyway.

I am wanting to do exactly what you have accomplished. I have already installed an After Market radio with a harness from Crutchfield. We tried to install the sub & mono-amp, but it did not work. How did you get around the factory bose amp? I am not the most technical individual, but am not afraid to try anything. My vehicle is an 05 Tahoe with Bose, and my son's is an 05 Silverado with bose. Any advice you have would be appreciated.

MCAT069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You want to install the Bose Lux amp or bypass the Bose amp you currently have?

jahmes143

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update

Looking to do the same thing...install aftermarket headunit and replace premium amp with LUX amp. I have a 2005 GMC Sierra. Are these the wires you swapped...http://duramax.onlinedesk.net/navinstall/AMP_harness_MODs.html?

I ordered a Metra/Axxis GMOS-04 to interface the HU with the lux amp, and also a Metra/Axxis ASWC-1 to retain steering wheel controls. I was going to use PAC brand instead of Metra but a few Amazon reviews said they had issues with the PAC/Lux combo, so I opted for Metra instead.

Mr. 960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm about to do this on my 06 Yukon. According to the forums I need to tap into the rear seat audio control to get the class 2 data wire. They say it is a light blue can anyone please confirm this or the pin location? Thanks!!!

MCAT069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pin A1 on the RSE is the Class 2 wire you need to tap and put into pin B10 of the amp harness. I am very pleased with my lux upgrade in my 04; hopefully you will like yours as well.

Attachments

• Prem-To-Lux_Amp_Conn_Rewire.doc
    30.5 KB · Views: 12

Mr. 960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pin A1 on the RSE is the Class 2 wire you need to tap and put into pin B10 of the amp harness. I am very pleased with my lux upgrade in my 04; hopefully you will like yours as well.
Awesome! Thanks. Did you include the audio noise compensation mic? I have it also and know it goes into B1 and B2 of the 24 pin c1 connector; however, I don't know in which order.

MCAT069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did add the mic too. Dark green goes to B1 and the stripped green/black goes to B2. Sorry for the delayed response, I had to find my notes from when I did this upgrade. If I remember correctly, I had to change the wires to get my mic to work. I believe some of the forums and write ups say that the green/black goes to B1 and solid green goes to B2. That being said, you may want to test the functionality of the mic before you reinstall everything.