Another set of headers installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JT 07LTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another set of speed engineering headers installed.
No install issues.
Used clamps that came with them sucesfully this time.
Reused oem bolts.

Instal was aprox 2 hours.

Wll try to get pics and exhaust vid asap.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but would you use the 1 3/4" or 1 7/8" LT's on a 5.3? Also, do they bolt up to the factory Y-pipe with cats? I want to leave the stock muffler and piping in place.

Brian Wilson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have speed engineering 1 7/8 on my denali 6.2. I would say, if you intend to break 450 hp, buy the bigger ones. If you are unsure, buy the bigger ones. If you won't come close, buy the smaller ones. But get a y pipe from them too. Getting an ORY made is a huge pain. In fact, I'm a shit welder. I have no experiance with exhaust. But the only way I could use my headers was to build my own y pipe. I wanted manderal bent 3" to a 3.5" collector to use my stock 3.5 exhaust (you should have 3") this took me almost 200$ in manderal bent pipe and almost 2 weeks working on it 2 hours per day. And I'm not exactly happy with how it turned out. It is a true 3 to 3.5 y pipe and it is all stainless and doesn't leak. But if I had a choice (like you do) I would have got the speed engineering y pipe. Exhaust shops wouldn't do it because I didn't want cats. Some legal crap.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What happened to the OP?
Jail?
Deportation?

Lol

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to dig up an old thread but would you use the 1 3/4" or 1 7/8" LT's on a 5.3? Also, do they bolt up to the factory Y-pipe with cats? I want to leave the stock muffler and piping in place.

As far as I know, they will not bolt up to the factory set up. Some fabrication will have to be done to connect them. I'd find some v-bands and some SS tubing and see if you can find a someone who can tig weld and fab it up.
Where in Western NC are you located?

I have speed engineering 1 7/8 on my denali 6.2. I would say, if you intend to break 450 hp, buy the bigger ones. If you are unsure, buy the bigger ones. If you won't come close, buy the smaller ones. But get a y pipe from them too. Getting an ORY made is a huge pain. In fact, I'm a shit welder. I have no experiance with exhaust. But the only way I could use my headers was to build my own y pipe. I wanted manderal bent 3" to a 3.5" collector to use my stock 3.5 exhaust (you should have 3") this took me almost 200$ in manderal bent pipe and almost 2 weeks working on it 2 hours per day. And I'm not exactly happy with how it turned out. It is a true 3 to 3.5 y pipe and it is all stainless and doesn't leak. But if I had a choice (like you do) I would have got the speed engineering y pipe. Exhaust shops wouldn't do it because I didn't want cats. Some legal crap.

I like how you went out of the box and built your own. You have any pics of your set up?
I'm planning on going with Speeds LTs as well but, will keep cats. Bought some v-bands and cut down a 2.5" in/out Maggy spun cat and cut it down to 3" in/out to make is as compact as possible. I forget how big it was at first but its about 6" long now with a v-band welded on.
mod%20cat_zpseywcrfle.jpg

What happened to the OP?
Jail?
Deportation?

Lol

Both haha, deported and put in jail

Good ?, hey OP where are you?

JT 07LTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea i did some more research and found out that they definitely won't bolt up to the stock Y pipe. I might just do the offroad pipe that Speed Engineering offers. I'll just have to go back to PCM in Mooresville,NC to get a re-tune to kill the CEL.

I'm near Asheville though.

JT 07LTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

There is some legal obligation for a licensed shop not to install exhaust without Cats. The emissions laws in NC suck. My buddy runs a great shop and sort of let's a few of us by on inspections as long as we are tuned right with no CEL's.

I think I am going to just do the offroad pipe from Speed though. You went through a lot more trouble than I'm willing to

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dprdmd