Another new member with new to me 2001 Yukon XL--a Southern beauty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silverfox103

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Long time GM guy, first time Yukon owner. Been retired for 10 years. The last 4 we have wintered in St. Simons Island GA; being from NH, I thought I died and went to heaven---no snow. The only problem is bringing our stuff down and what's even worse is bringing the stuff we accumulated back up north. I love hitting the Southern junkyards for my two wagons and Fleetwood (see below). The last two years I have changed cars down there, trying to get a better fit, I think I found it.

I was on the hunt for a Suburban / Yukon. There were plenty down south, but the ones in my price range had 250 to 350K miles. Didn't want one of those, but it made me feel good about the drivetrain. I found a 2001 Yukon XL with 103K. I hopped on that like a dog on a pork chop. Price was really fair and overall in good condition. Sixteen years old and I was very happy. It was a 2 wheel drive, have no use for a 4 wheel drive, as I won't be up north for winters. I'll give it 8 months off, but it need to perform the other four.

I bought it knowing it needed a few things, but that was OK.

1. First thing I did was put on running boards, to make it easier for the Mrs. to get in and out.

2. Tires

3. Battery

4. Fuel pump---was starting to drain back.

5. Intermediate steering shaft

6. Display repair

Cost a few bucks, but it was flawless driving home, and what a great ride.

Got a couple of things that are on my to do list:

1. Got to figure out why my barn doors don't lock. Not a big deal yet, but would like to have them fixed. Any ideas?

2. The leather seats are in decent shape, but I am a cloth seat guy, so I would like to find a nice set. Anyone know what years will interchange?

Tom

DSC_0624_zpse1pephgb.jpg

DSC_0627_zpskdrlg2xq.jpg

DSC_0628_zpsqg6opxrp.jpg

DSC_2527.jpg

HotCarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome. Looks like you have a Caprice wagon too? I miss my old '94 Caprice.

Sometimes the barn doors would act up on my '97 Tahoe. You probably already checked fuses?

Last edited:

DenaliEd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the patterns to match, the cloth seats would have to come from a 02 or old NBS vehicle, the seats changed slightly in 03. Not sure about wiring, etc. If you don't like the feel of leather, I'd just get a set of seat-covers, but that's me

OP
OP
silverfox103

silverfox103

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome. Looks like you have a Caprice wagon too? I miss my old '94 Caprice.

Sometimes the barn doors would act up on my '97 Tahoe. You probably already checked fuses?

Thanks HotCarl!

I'm pretty sure I checked the fuses, one of these days I will dig a little deeper. Yeah, that is a Caprice Wagon, I just sold the Roadmaster wagon.

For the patterns to match, the cloth seats would have to come from a 02 or old NBS vehicle, the seats changed slightly in 03. Not sure about wiring, etc. If you don't like the feel of leather, I'd just get a set of seat-covers, but that's me

Thanks Ed

The seats........well that's my excuse to go to the junkyards when I'm down south for the winter. The leather is in not in bad shape. Driver seats needs a little plumping up, but not an immediate need.

Tom

HotCarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If fuses are good, the problem could be the actuator itself, The actuators are known to fail. I can't recall, does the rear door have an actual lock cylinder for a key? My '97 did. Does it lock with the physical turn of key, just not with the power switch?

OP
OP
silverfox103

silverfox103

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If fuses are good, the problem could be the actuator itself, The actuators are known to fail. I can't recall, does the rear door have an actual lock cylinder for a key? My '97 did. Does it lock with the physical turn of key, just not with the power switch?

I can lock it with a key, so that has taken the pressure off of fixing it. It does have either 3 or 4 electrical actuators that lock on those rear doors. I would say the chances of all of them being bad are pretty low. I would bet on a common link between them all. I will double check the fuse, but if I remember correctly there was power. It may be another week or two before I can get into it. From reading different places, those GM barn doors have a locking issue.

Tom

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome.... nice truck... on my 01 i remember the contacts got all gummed up and the rear defrost stopped working as well....a little steel wool and electrical contact spray and i was good to go...

OP
OP
silverfox103

silverfox103

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome.... nice truck... on my 01 i remember the contacts got all gummed up and the rear defrost stopped working as well....a little steel wool and electrical contact spray and i was good to go...

That was the first thing I did. Didn't make any difference, but haven't eliminated it yet. I don't believe it has rear defrost, probably it being a southern car.

Keep the ideas and suggestions coming, I will get to it.

thanks

Tom