Annual oil changes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tmarzetta

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2016 Yukon XL SLT and have the Mobil 1 Annual Protection Full Synthetic oil in. It is good for one year or 20,000 miles, whichever comes first. I also added some Severe Engine quiet that has done a great job of keeping the engine noise to a minimum.

The oil is about $49 at Wal-Mart for 5 quarts (you'll need 9 qts I recall), and needless to say, I plan on only going 10,000 miles and I will replace it with the same as it has been great thus far. :)

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
THAT is something they would say right lol
To answer your question more thoroughly, personally i do like to get under my cars more often, to give everything a once over (and to see how rusty they are getting.... damn ny salty roads), as someone said above. I think 3000 on todays oil is throwing money away, maybe 5000 too but ill go 6000 or 3 months whichever comes first on my tahoe because i dont drive it so often but intake long trips with it so it gets changed before and after each trip. I do believe oil breaks down and that oci will get me under that truck to lube everything too and i do use synthetic mobil 1 blah blah.... Now with my accord, i use same oil but i let it go 10-12k because i would be under there every week if I followed that oci. I dunno dude... i was brought up on 3k oci’s but i think todays oil you cant do that shit anymore because you are throwing money away but a year... old school thinking kicking in there... too long in my book. :2cents:

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I change mine about every 8 to 12 months, depending on how much I drive. The oil in my truck right now was poured into my engine in December 2016, which was about 7,000 miles ago. I'm about due for a change pretty soon. I run Amsoil XL Series synthetic oil in my truck and I change it about every 7500-8000 miles.

That's pretty much an annual oil change, my man. How long have you been practicing this? Can you provide more details such as:
Engine & MY
Mileage when purchased
Current mileage
Years owned
Length of time using synthetic oil
Was Traditional/dino' used in the past? Oil change intervals used in accordance, etc
Any engine failures
Periodic visual/sniff test with long intervals
Do you practice this on other vehicles?
Total Cost for oil/filter

I'm interested. Most folks believe the oil requires changing at least 2x yearly per the above replies. You are almost pushing it, would like to know of someone getting right-at or closer to the annual mark; could you comfortably push it given your experience here?

Obviously motor oil has come a long way in its design & performance. Today's designer chemicals must address all of the above contraindications in order to perform as advertised. If it does and to what extent most just speculate but for folks like yourself who practice this are in position to provide feedback. This is a small sample that I suspect to grow quickly as we learn engines aren't going to fail with 1-oil change per year/8k miles+
Consider getting samples of your used oil analyzed so that we can be better informed to the claims these manufacturers are making on the long-interval o/c. It would go a long way.

I change oil every 3k in 1 of my trucks running 15w-40 in a 2004, 4.6 v8.... and it's not bc there is a sticker telling me too. It's required from what I can tell.

I fully expect to do 5k+ in the 5.3 v8 yukon with 5w-30 1dexos full-syn & Delco filter. I hope to get even more than that out of it via sound/sniff/color & EOL monitor.

Last edited:

Z15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil Myth: The color of the oil indicates when it’s time for an oil change

It’s common to assume motor oil that has turned black has worn out or become too saturated with contaminants to protect your engine and requires changing. Not necessarily. Discoloration is a natural byproduct of heat and soot particles, which are too small to wear out your engine.

The only surefire way to determine if the oil has reached the end of its service life is to perform oil analysis. Chemically analyzing an oil sample reveals the condition of the oil, the presence of contaminants, fuel dilution and so on. Absent oil analysis, it’s best to follow the oil-change recommendation given in your vehicle owner’s manual or by the motor oil manufacturer. The recommended service intervals for AMSOIL products, for example, are based on thousands of data points spanning years of use.

It’s best to trust the data, not your eye, in this case. Otherwise, changing the oil could amount to throwing away good oil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne