Annoying front end noise...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mattsred03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an annoying problem on my 03 Tahoe.

Every day going to work (NAS Pensacola) I have to go over 2 speed bumps while I come in the gate. Every time I go over them slowly, (between 5 and 15 MPH, crawling over them makes no noise) I get a creaking sound out of my front suspension. When I leave base I have to go over one bump but I take that at 20MPH+ and it doesn't make a sound. All the ball joints are greased and the boots all look fine and no play in the wheel 6-12 or 3-9. Before I start throwing suspension parts at this thing, has anyone had this problem and what was the fix?

Its regrettably a 2WD front end. Any ideas? My first attempt at a fix will be control arms (lowers first) if nobody knows a more precise fix. I replaced the shocks already and that didn't fix it. And both hubs are new due to a rolling squeak or chirp last year, though I don't know how the hubs would make the noise like that for an up and down motion of the suspension.

So, and ideas or is replacing the lower control arms a good place to start?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get some silicone spray and spray the balls off the lower control arm bushings, next day do the uppers, next day the sway bar bushings.. starting on drivers side 1 control arm a day... until it stops squeaking...

OP
OP
Mattsred03

Mattsred03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Get some silicone spray and spray the balls off the lower control arm bushings, next day do the uppers, next day the sway bar bushings.. starting on drivers side 1 control arm a day... until it stops squeaking...
That may take awhile but it makes since. Will save me some money too. I never thought silicone spray would be enough to make a difference. Now off to hit the driver lower.
Thanks

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That may take awhile but it makes since. Will save me some money too. I never thought silicone spray would be enough to make a difference. Now off to hit the driver lower.
Thanks
Well then I figured if you found which was the culprit you could swap out.. both lowers or uppers or swaybar bushings etc... if it really bothers you that much. Or just leave it a spray it down every oil change. My work truck (2016 4500 chevy box truck) annoys me so i take whatever i find in the mechanics work bench that particular day, silicone, wd40, pb blaster, whatever is left out and spray everything on the front end and then the leaf springs and it quiets down for a few weeks at at a time...

OP
OP
Mattsred03

Mattsred03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well then I figured if you found which was the culprit you could swap out.. both lowers or uppers or swaybar bushings etc... if it really bothers you that much. Or just leave it a spray it down every oil change. My work truck (2016 4500 chevy box truck) annoys me so i take whatever i find in the mechanics work bench that particular day, silicone, wd40, pb blaster, whatever is left out and spray everything on the front end and then the leaf springs and it quiets down for a few weeks at at a time...
That's what I'm going to try. I sprayed the driver side lower a little bit ago.

It is annoying simply because I constantly get compliments for my truck. People think it's amazing how well it drives, rides, and how smooth it is especially for a 14 year old truck. Then, coming into work, everybody's windows are down and the Tahoe makes a terrible noise on those stupid speed bumps. There is only 1 thing wrong with that truck and that's it. Maybe a half of dozen honesty marks on the paint, a wear spot on the drivers floor mat, and that speed bump creak. I just want it to be right.