[Android Auto] Expert level usage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kittmaster

Reaction score
I have a '16 Yukon XL and a question regarding Android Auto about apps/operation.

So using Google maps via USB is working, Google music works etc....so all the basics are 100%.

I installed Waze (compatible app for Android Auto) which comes up as a working app to select between Google maps and Waze when Android Auto comes up and both work great.

The question is, things like Textra, Skype and various other apps in the Google Store are all apps that are supposed to work with Android Auto when it is active.......my question is how to use those apps or access them. I have Skype installed but yet I can't find any way to see how to choose or access Skype anywhere in the Android Auto app operation.

Waze clearly works and is accessible showing that it does "work" as one would expect, but the "other" apps don't seem to show up or work as expected and wondering what I could be doing wrong? I did some YouTube looking and it really only talks about the Bluetooth operation or just the USB cable in, nothing really about how to add apps into Android Auto or how to use them.

Anyone have any tips or can guide me to a method of how to do it?

Thank you!
Chris

sam123

Reaction score
You can't display Skype, whatsapp, or anything as such. It's more like if you get a notification from those apps, those notifications appear in android auto.

I hope this clarifies things!

OP
OP
Kittmaster

Kittmaster

Reaction score
oic, then I guess another question is, besides waze, are there any other apps that do work inside of Android auto. Waze takes place of Google maps, so any other apps that do something similar? Overall it's pretty neat. Thanks.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nothing I know of other than some music app's have limited functionality like tunein radio, Pandora, etc, I have been using android auto pretty much since day one, it took them forever to get waze to work, they are all scared to death some ones going to do something stupid and cause a death and there going to get sued. but they advertise it like it will do more but it doesn't yet.

OP
OP
Kittmaster

Kittmaster

Reaction score
That is what I started to gather from the beginning. Hopefully they will start to expand it a bit going forward.

Thanks for the feedback.

Will be posting a very specific question outside the scope of this thread, hopefully someone can help there.

Chris

Csurp

Reaction score
nothing I know of other than some music app's have limited functionality like tunein radio, Pandora, etc, I have been using android auto pretty much since day one, it took them forever to get waze to work, they are all scared to death some ones going to do something stupid and cause a death and there going to get sued. but they advertise it like it will do more but it doesn't yet.
I find that Pandora works very well when tethered via Android Auto. You can select stations, like. etc. Pandora with Bluetooth is very limited.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GPPV