Am I making a mistake? Single vs. dual speed transfer case

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by emerscape, May 20, 2017.

1. emerscape

emerscape TYF Newbie

Name:
    Peter
    my wife and I live south of Boston and I recently put a deposit on a 2017 Tahoe LT. The vehicle I am purchasing doesn't have the max tow package. We don't tow anything or plan to, but we often take our vehicles out on to Duxbury beach which is a drive on beach. We currently have an Acadia AWD which does ok but for ground clearance issues and only really gets stuck when the sand is super soft. Am I making a mistake buying a Tahoe without 4wd low? I've got a pretty good deal on the vehicle I've picked out and don't feel like going through the hassle all over again. Anyone without the max trailering package ever have any issues?

2. Rdr854

Rdr854 Full Access Member

Name:
    Richard
    I had 4 low in my 08 Suburban but never used it, even in 2010's Snowmagedon. My new Suburban does not have the max towing package and I figure that if conditions are that bad, I won't venture out. The way I figure it, if my car can't do it, I won't make my Suburban do it.

W8TVI likes this.
  3. Bigbeardenali1992

Bigbeardenali1992 Full Access Member

Name:
    Chase
    Even though I've never used the 4Lo option in my 2001 durango limited that I had before my denali xl, I kinda miss having the option simply because it was there. Lol. It gave me the confidence to go anywhere I needed to. I live in a ski town in the mountains and we don't get asuch snow as you east coasters, but I work on the ski area so when it's snowing hard I have to truck it in to work. So having 4Hi and 4Lo meant I could go anywhere in any condition. With that being said, I have AWD in my 2006 denali xl and don't have control of the transfer case. As of yet I haven't met any conditions I haven't been able to go through with my denali xl. We had 5 feet of snow in 5 days in January and it didn't stop from going where I needed to go as my denali plowed through like a tank. Unless you plan on doing any heavy mudding or long distance sanding (like through a dune sea) lol, I don't think you will miss out on much without 4Lo.

bjurkovski and 95escahoe like this.
  4. 95escahoe

95escahoe Full Access Member

Name:
    Brett
    X2 on this when I moved on from my 95 Tahoe (had 2wd, 4lo & 4hi) to the Escalade which is AWD all the time, I was kinda skeptical about how it would handle the snow but it's a tank is as good if not better then the Tahoe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigbeardenali1992 likes this.
  5. Galante

Galante Elite Member Supporting Member

Name:
    Pete
    I like being able to go to 4lo when needed....i live upstate NY and have a plow though.... i have always had a 4lo and use it often actually...... guess its what your plans are.... soft sand and deep snow...which you get both......just saying

95escahoe likes this.
  6. duke90

duke90 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Andrew
    I do a lot of overlanding and have always had a vehicle equipped with a 2 speed transfer. I just purchased a '17 XL Denali which has the 2 speed transfer case...you'll wish you had the low range gear if you hit deep sand especially with such a heavy vehicle.

Galante likes this.
  7. Mechanic421

Mechanic421 Member

Name:
    David
    You will need low range for deep sand . I live in Florida we have lots of deep sand! Usually low gear is needed. I have a 05 Denali xl and you won't catch me near deep sand , kind of wish I had low maybe in to future.

8. Parthery

Parthery Full Access Member

Name:
    Brian
    The other big difference is you get the 3.08 rear end as opposed to the 3.42 Performance is noticeably slower. Drive it and make sure you are comfortable with the pickup.

9. emerscape

emerscape TYF Newbie

Name:
    Peter
    Thanks guys. Ended up buying an LT without the low range (couldn't find any in the area that weren't out of my price range). We've had it out on the beach a few times and has done better than expected. Even blew by an LR4 with low range and air suspension that got stuck

Galante likes this.
  10. swathdiver

swathdiver Full Access Member

Name:
    James
    I reckon tires and tire pressure management will be more profitable for your beach driving, enjoy!