Alternative to (Swiss Cheese) Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlazaEJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remembered, AFTER, I started working, to take pics. So, the pics start after everything has been disassembled.

Using a 4" diameter hole saw, drill hole in the bottom of the air box. Actually, it's easier, if you drill just the pilot hole from inside, then turn the box over and cut the big hole. The saw won't jump as bad this way. Secure the with an assistant or put your foot on it tightly, so it doesn't spin around while you cut.
0907122006.jpg

Clean up the burs, and install the box back onto the plate. With the box correctly installed, again, drill just the pilot hole. Then, remove the box and continue cutting the big hole. Be aware, the hole saw can jump and grab, generally be a pain to cut with. Take your time, keep the saw straight as possible, use light pressure. This is what you want...
0907122017.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

No matter how you cut this, the wheel well is fairly close to the underside of the mounting plate. I trimmed a half moon section from sleeve, to clear the wheel well and not distort the sleeve, when installed.
0907122016.jpg

Be sure to clean up (vacuum) ALL the plastic and metal chips around the area.

After installing the air box, for the last time, fold the sleeve in on itself, and slide into the hole, lining up the cut out with the wheel well.
0907122019.jpg

Should look like this...
0907122021.jpg

OP
OP
P

PlazaEJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drop in air filter. In my case, my cleaned and re-oiled K&N filter.
0907122023.jpg

Reinstall MAF and connector, and air intake to TB. Mine is the Airaid M.I.T. that was originally on my Avalanche.
0907122029.jpg

All buttoned up. Sounds good. We'll see if there's any improvement.
If I get the same results as before, "Seat of the Pants" dyno will like it.
Maybe even an improvement in MPG. *Fingers crossed*

EJ

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

so this acts as a CAI?

Yep.

OP
OP
P

PlazaEJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like it. Along with cheap 'CAI', cleaning the MAF, TB, and running some Seafoam through the system a couple of times. Idle is smooth, acceleration is good, and it sounds great with the AiRaid M.I.T.

Works for me.

EJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denali21