Alernative to GM/Borla exhaust for a fraction of the cost...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do any of you know which Borla muffler is used in the GM/Borla Branded exhaust for our trucks?

I am wanting to add just a little bit of rumble and was reading that one of the benefit of the above exhaust system is that it retains the resonator and valve, assuring no drone when cruising and in 4 cylinder mode.

SO... couldn't the same results be had byt just removing stock muffler and welding in a Borla muffler?
or other mild/quiet mufflers?

Anyone done this, retainer resonator/valve and obtained mild exhaust note/no drone?

thanks!

TooMuchTxn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the borla one contains the valve inside the actual muffler so replacing the muffler without replacing the entire cat back you would need to verify and ensure you remove your stock valve otherwise you would effectively have 2, one in the muffler and your original downstream from the muffler.

EDIT:
Nevermind i see on GM 19329322 the flapper is in the catback system before the muffler. Dynomax had it on the inside of the muffler.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the borla one contains the valve inside the actual muffler so replacing the muffler without replacing the entire cat back you would need to verify and ensure you remove your stock valve otherwise you would effectively have 2, one in the muffler and your original downstream from the muffler.

EDIT:
Nevermind i see on GM 19329322 the flapper is in the catback system before the muffler. Dynomax had it on the inside of the muffler.

Sweet! so in theory, if someone wanted to just make a suburban a bit louder without any drone could just weldin a mellow muffler.
I am trying to get the exhaust to be similar in volume to a stock escalade, for some reasons a family member who has a 16' one, sound perfect to me, unless it is 100% due to it being a 6.2 but I look underneath and his stock exhaust does look different from my stock exhaust

TechSupport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The GM Borla and the Borla touring system are the same part number. The touring system is $2-300 less due to it not saying "GM" on it.
I have the Borla sport system on my 16' Escalade and it sounds amazing. No drone and not much louder than stock. Maybe because the is so well insulated. You know it's there on startup and when you get on it. It took about 500 miles to "season" it. It was obnoxious when I first installed it to the point I called them. They told me to go beat on the truck a bit to break the exhaust in and if I wasn't happy they would swap it for the touring system.
Definitely happy with the exhaust.

Vinvin7716

Reaction score
The GM Borla and the Borla touring system are the same part number. The touring system is $2-300 less due to it not saying "GM" on it.
I have the Borla sport system on my 16' Escalade and it sounds amazing. No drone and not much louder than stock. Maybe because the is so well insulated. You know it's there on startup and when you get on it. It took about 500 miles to "season" it. It was obnoxious when I first installed it to the point I called them. They told me to go beat on the truck a bit to break the exhaust in and if I wasn't happy they would swap it for the touring system.

I'm at 300 miles on mine. I'm a bout to sprinkle some old bay and cayenne on it, hoping it gets some extra seasoning like the corsa.

paulb55

Reaction score
Good to know. Wifey wants something smaller so I will be taking her esky and I wanted to do the exhaust and didnt know which way I wanted to go. Sport sounds like the way and then a week in call borla and complain :)

NowZoomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless the design changed, the Borla vs GM Borla is still slightly different with the latter having the valve

When I bought mine researched between Borla 140560 (Escalade ESV touring) and the GM Performance Exhaust 19329325

TechSupport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless the design changed, the Borla vs GM Borla is still slightly different with the latter having the valve

When I bought mine researched between Borla 140560 (Escalade ESV touring) and the GM Performance Exhaust 19329325

The Borla touring definitely has the valve in it. The sport doesn't. The 19329325 is the exhaust for your ESV without the tips. The Borla 140560 has the chrome tips and definitely has the valve

IMG_0481.JPG

TechSupport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm at 300 miles on mine. I'm a bout to sprinkle some old bay and cayenne on it, hoping it gets some extra seasoning like the corsa.

I didn't like how mine sounded at first but definitely like it now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14