Airbag Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigShowJoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2000 Tahoe that was hit in the rear while parked. Just bumped actually b/c there was no physical damage at all. However, since then the airbag light has been on. Any idea if this is something that just needs to be reset or if there is a damaged sensor that needs to be replaced? I have not called any mechanics about it yet.

Thumper8302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
u would have to find somebody that has a code reader that can get into the SRS system... i havent had any luck with finding a code reader for myself thats somewhat cheap that will allow me to get the codes for that system.. u may just have to go to the dealer and pay the 90 bucks for a full diagnostics.. then they can tell u which sensor is bad... my airbag light is on too and its been pissin me off for a year i just havent pulled the trigger on takin it to a dealer yet... hope u find ur problem out tho man..

OP
OP
B

BigShowJoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does it definitely mean a sensor is "bad"? Or does that system work like a circuit being tripped that needs resetting?

Thumper8302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
every time u start ur vehicle ur srs system will run a test... like on my kon i will start it and the airbag light will blink 7 times.... if the light stays on then that means that the srs system has not met operational standards ie, bad sensor and or wiring and the airbags may not deploy when needed or may deploy when NOT needed... i know a common thing on our trucks is a loose wire somewhere and the clock spring..

Thumper8302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn mike why u gotta be all the way in IL? what kind of reader do u have by chance?

OP
OP
B

BigShowJoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I had the codes read by a local shop and heres what it has:

B0040 - Left Front/Driver Side Deployment Loop Resistance Low
B0077 - Left Front/Driver Side Impact Sensor (SIS) Malfunction

I would assume that left front sensor is bad but I cannot find it to even visually inspect. On the underside of the radiator cradle there is a sensor in the center but I don't think thats it. The part number on that center sensor is 16246305 and the only description I can find on the net is "front impact sensor", no left or right.

I need lots of people's 2 cents on this as I do not want to pay the dealer $90 just to diagnose.

9C1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bringing up an old thread - what is the clock spring? My airbag light sometimes stays on after startup and sometimes doesn't. Thought I'd check this out. Thanks in advance.

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14