Airaid CAI and less performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I don't understand why it is necessary to get wound up about this...

While some intake modifications can be made without any tune change, there are many others that will cause significant pinging or even a power loss without tuning. I'm sure that you know this, but many volant intake cause the ECM to see as much as 15% more air than is actually entering the engine. That results in a 3-4 degree retardation of ignition timing and 15% more fuel than expected at full throttle. Result? Reduced engine power.

Some Volant intakes cause the opposite, such as the volant that was used for our intake testing. Without tune correction, it resulted in the engine pinging audibly due to insufficient fuel and too much timing. The MAF sensor is king in these vehicles with respect to many functions and it is critical that it reports properly.

Most of the GM-related CAIs do not have a TUNE/NO TUNE model, so that is not a relevant comparison... Fords utilize completely different control schemes than GM vehicles.

As far as the dealer is concerned, the Magnusson Moss Act sets the rules. If you have a tune and a CAI and an AFM lifter fails or your oil pump fails, there is no legal justification for GM to block your warranty.

Regarding the flash update ledger within the ECM, I stand by my original statement. There will be no trace of the tune with *our* tune installed. Returning to stock is to ensure that it drives like stock.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a moronic post. "no issues as long as the tune is returned to stock for dealer visits"
So, your point is to do a tune and lie to your dealer? Your point is to do a tune and and go back to stock every time you need to go to the dealer for something? Sounds REAL convenient. Better hope you dont need to get it towed in or have an emergency repair. Also, the ECM keeps track of EVERY TIME the parameters are changed, even if back to stock....so you better hope they dont check that. Also, your point about CAI's not having benefit without a tune is also false. It will help, but only to the extent the MAF sensor can adapt, there is a range that it can without a tune. That is why most CAI's offer TUNE and NO-TUNE versions of their CAI's. I will be honest and admit I have not researched them for my Tahoe, but I am in the process of getting one for my Mustang GT and I will probably be going with the AiRaid NO-TUNE CAI.
Jenna has been around for years and I like so many other have live tunes from BBP and also use the autocal..your insults and time will be limited here..
This is a moronic post. "no issues as long as the tune is returned to stock for dealer visits"
So, your point is to do a tune and lie to your dealer? Your point is to do a tune and and go back to stock every time you need to go to the dealer for something? Sounds REAL convenient. Better hope you dont need to get it towed in or have an emergency repair. Also, the ECM keeps track of EVERY TIME the parameters are changed, even if back to stock....so you better hope they dont check that. Also, your point about CAI's not having benefit without a tune is also false. It will help, but only to the extent the MAF sensor can adapt, there is a range that it can without a tune. That is why most CAI's offer TUNE and NO-TUNE versions of their CAI's. I will be honest and admit I have not researched them for my Tahoe, but I am in the process of getting one for my Mustang GT and I will probably be going with the AiRaid NO-TUNE CAI.

Here is some info from the Mustang world.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/why-choose-a-2005-2014-mustang-tune-required-cai.html

Yes, it does benefit additionally to have a tune....but it's not true that it does not help having a "no-tune" version. While my vehicles are under warranty, there is no way on earth I would screw with possibility of voiding my warranty.
Haha, where did you come from? I think Jenna knows what she is talking about. Plenty of us running tuned trucks with no issues. If you are that worried about breaking down keep the autocal in the truck...but you seem like the type that needs to stay stock..you got ur foot in your mouth after 13 posts..really?!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Kansas Eagle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Spare me your BS and your vendor loving crap. I also said I have Corvettes and it's the same issue with them. Here is a link from a REPUTABLE after market tuner

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/Stage-3s-Stance-Tuning-Your-Vehicles-Warranty.html

From that page...

"Now, you may hear something or other about being protected by the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975, which you technically are, since the Act requires a burden of proof from the manufacturer or dealer that a particular aftermarket part, accessory, or tune led to an engine failure or other issue. That being said, Ford and dealerships have much more money and a much larger legal team than you, and a drawn-out court battle with a judge that may or may not understand some of the finer points of the aftermarket or tuning will more than likely cost you more than new motor and still leave you footing the bill for full crate engine or long block if something catastrophic did in fact occur. So, while you're technically "protected" to some extent, the real-world practical issues leave a lot to be desired. Still, if you put a tune in your vehicle, but have a problem with something that is totally unrelated to the tune or powertrain (i.e. your window regulator, door locks, A/C, power steering, etc.), then those repairs would be covered."

Exactly. You want to roll the dice? You want to take the word of a forum vendor who is only interested in the next sale? Go right ahead...hope it works out for you. Just don't start posting on this forum about how evil GM is when they deny your warranty claim.

Spare me your crap about "this is Chevy and not Ford" it's the same thing.

Kansas Eagle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Jenna has been around for years and I like so many other have live tunes from BBP and also use the autocal..your insults and time will be limited here..

Haha, where did you come from? I think Jenna knows what she is talking about. Plenty of us running tuned trucks with no issues. If you are that worried about breaking down keep the autocal in the truck...but you seem like the type that needs to stay stock..you got ur foot in your mouth after 13 posts..really?!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Yep, only 13 posts. I discarded this forum a year ago when all it turned out to be was people whining about cabin noise and lemon laws. I see the quality of the members has not changed much. Any vendor who lies to you and tries to make you believe that his product is ok as long as you "go back to stock tune" when you take it in for service is NOT someone I want to do business with or would trust. But hey, it's your vehicle and your money.

ISU-152

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, only 13 posts. I discarded this forum a year ago when all it turned out to be was people whining about cabin noise and lemon laws. I see the quality of the members has not changed much. Any vendor who lies to you and tries to make you believe that his product is ok as long as you "go back to stock tune" when you take it in for service is NOT someone I want to do business with or would trust. But hey, it's your vehicle and your money.
If you can't present your concerns without being a D bag and attacking someone and a trusted company here, then go back to Ford. I'm sure they'll accept you with arms wide open

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol I have a motor swapped, cammed, long tubed truck that is 17 years old. Sounds like a race car..im far from going to stock for dealer service. I could care less what the dealer thinks. U need to relax..act ur age not ur post count.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Kansas Eagle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Lol I have a motor swapped, cammed, long tubed truck that is 17 years old. Sounds like a race car..im far from going to stock for dealer service. I could care less what the dealer thinks. U need to relax..act ur age not ur post count.

Well then BRAIN SURGEON, none of this is an issue for you is it? My point is (and always has been) that a tune might void your warranty.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well then BRAIN SURGEON, none of this is an issue for you is it? My point is (and always has been) that a tune might void your warranty.
Nope, just how u present yourself..and I agree with u. A tune can definitely kill a warranty. I have a new car I refuse to touch because of the electronics and possibly voiding the warranty. Not worth the headache. Also have a GTO which is VETTE like..point is no need to name call. The only guys complaining about cabin noise are the '15+ group but I would too on a $50-75k+ truck.

Last edited:

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Spare me your BS and your vendor loving crap. I also said I have Corvettes and it's the same issue with them. Here is a link from a REPUTABLE after market tuner

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/Stage-3s-Stance-Tuning-Your-Vehicles-Warranty.html

From that page...

"Now, you may hear something or other about being protected by the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975, which you technically are, since the Act requires a burden of proof from the manufacturer or dealer that a particular aftermarket part, accessory, or tune led to an engine failure or other issue. That being said, Ford and dealerships have much more money and a much larger legal team than you, and a drawn-out court battle with a judge that may or may not understand some of the finer points of the aftermarket or tuning will more than likely cost you more than new motor and still leave you footing the bill for full crate engine or long block if something catastrophic did in fact occur. So, while you're technically "protected" to some extent, the real-world practical issues leave a lot to be desired. Still, if you put a tune in your vehicle, but have a problem with something that is totally unrelated to the tune or powertrain (i.e. your window regulator, door locks, A/C, power steering, etc.), then those repairs would be covered."

Exactly. You want to roll the dice? You want to take the word of a forum vendor who is only interested in the next sale? Go right ahead...hope it works out for you. Just don't start posting on this forum about how evil GM is when they deny your warranty claim.

Spare me your crap about "this is Chevy and not Ford" it's the same thing.

By emphasizing REPUTABLE, are you implying that we are not? BBP has been in business for over 10 years now... not exactly a fly-by-night organization.

Have you ever been involved in a dispute with GM involving a warranty issue? If so, you would recall that the BBB is the mitigating agency as outlined in the owner's manual, not a very expensive (for them) legal team.

And Chevy vs Ford is a very legitimate point to bring up, as both manufacturers address modifications in a different manner.

Before trying to smear us as liars, I would suggest you be certain of your claim. Your approach belies the fact that you know nothing of our tune process or capabilities in that regard. Do you make the claim that Diablosport's tuners are fully detectable as well (hint, they are not)?

What was your point for even involving yourself in this discussion? The OP stated an issue with his intake, which is common and fixable with a tune. Hopefully he will come back with his review in the end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts