Aftermarket muffler, no welding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SwedeBurban

Reaction score
Hi,
Got a 2011.
Want a Borla 3 inch or a Flowmaster 44 muffler for my stock exhaust.
The stock exhaust is 2.75 inch.
I just want to change the muffler. Anyone who just have replace the muffler and use exhaust clamps?
I've dont have any welder. And I cant find any 2.75 to 3 inch reducer here in Sweden.

Thanks

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's only 1/4" difference, which is 1/8" all around. You're gonna need some pieces of exhaust pipe to make up the difference in length from the stock muffler to the Borla or Flowmaster. So, get some 3" pipe with flared ends to slip over the inlet and outlets of the muffler and clamp them in place. Cut slits about 2" inches long in the other ends of the pipes 90 degrees apart (4 cuts). Slip your stock exhaust inside the 3" pipes and clamp it down around the slits. You may want to add a second clamp near the end of the cut slit.

With the extra expense of the clamps and labor of cutting, etc., couldn't you just have an exhaust shop weld your muffler in for you? The stock 2.75" exhaust would fit right inside the 3" openings and a regular weld would fill the 1/8" gap.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's only 1/4" difference, which is 1/8" all around. You're gonna need some pieces of exhaust pipe to make up the difference in length from the stock muffler to the Borla or Flowmaster. So, get some 3" pipe with flared ends to slip over the inlet and outlets of the muffler and clamp them in place. Cut slits about 2" inches long in the other ends of the pipes 90 degrees apart (4 cuts). Slip your stock exhaust inside the 3" pipes and clamp it down around the slits. You may want to add a second clamp near the end of the cut slit.

With the extra expense of the clamps and labor of cutting, etc., couldn't you just have an exhaust shop weld your muffler in for you? The stock 2.75" exhaust would fit right inside the 3" openings and a regular weld would fill the 1/8" gap.
You said slit

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when I had my trans am (79 6.6l old's 440) everything was bolt on from the factory, you could run it straight pipe and it didn't sound one bit different without the muffler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon