Aftermarket exhaust options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've removed the resonator on my Hybrid. I've enjoyed the sound for a couple of years but now I'm ready for more. I also want to have a more finished look. I was thinking about getting a new tip welded on but then decided that perhaps I should just get a new exhaust system. Anyone already go this route?

Also, I recall reading some posts about how removing the stock exhaust would not be a good idea on a Hybrid. Is this true? If this is true, can anyone tell me why that is?

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive read in earlier post guys putting flowmaster kits on theres with no issues

there shouldnt be any reason why you cant change out the exhuast the gas engine in a hybrid operates no different then a regular engine

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know how removing the exhaust could affect things. Maybe others were talking about also removing the cats, which I won't be doing.

I saw in one post about flowmasters that the owner had to cut the OEM exhaust. This also confused me because I see a flange with bolts just before the muffler.

OP
OP
G

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finished installing a Gibson single side exit exhaust on my tahoe today. Did it without a lift and by myself so it was a little tough. Bought a Sawzall just for the job. Could not remove the stock system without cutting it. Was sort of difficult aligning all of the sections. Will check all the bolts in a week unless something falls off before that. ;)

Exhaust sound at idle is a little louder and gurgly. Nothing outrageous but definitely more appropriate for a 6 liter V8. A little louder and more aggressive than just removing the resonator off of the OEM exhaust system.

MightyThor

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am interesting in doing somehting like this. I Have thought about doing headers and 3 inch pipe all the way back with a flowmaster muffler or doing a true dual exhaust. any thoughts?

googone20

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would not use Flowmasters, as they are chambered and I have watched plenty of people dyno less hp after installing them. Magnaflow mufflers are better quality, and are a straight through design. They flow as well as a straight pipe, and they improve sound.

OP
OP
G

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does the exhaust sound like in V4 mode?

Not sure if you are asking me, but my Gibson seems to be more noticeable in V4 mode. It's not really a drone but sort of a rougher note than when in v8 mode. I recall this being the case with the stock system but now it is just a little more apparent. My kids sit in the second row and have never complained about it. I was afraid of long term hearing issues for them so I've sat in the rear a couple of times to see what it sounds like and it doesn't seem as noticeable back there which is odd.

Bottom line: I don't regret my Gibson. With the louder exhaust note, it makes people who don't know the Hybrid models exist ask me if I put the Hybrid emblems on my truck as a joke. ;)

Hotwire

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not sure if you are asking me, but my Gibson seems to be more noticeable in V4 mode. It's not really a drone but sort of a rougher note than when in v8 mode. I recall this being the case with the stock system but now it is just a little more apparent. My kids sit in the second row and have never complained about it. I was afraid of long term hearing issues for them so I've sat in the rear a couple of times to see what it sounds like and it doesn't seem as noticeable back there which is odd.

Bottom line: I don't regret my Gibson. With the louder exhaust note, it makes people who don't know the Hybrid models exist ask me if I put the Hybrid emblems on my truck as a joke. ;)

That's exactly what I was asking about. :) Coming from a balls out 5.3L swapped blazer that was loud and family pretty much refused to ride in it to an 08 hyho, I'm pretty reluctant to mess w/ the exhaust. It was so bad I used a dB meter to see what I was doing to myself, added fatmat to the whole blazer, even changed out mufflers trying to quiet it down.

The one thing that's bugging me is the lack of spare tire, want to hack the extra muffler off, but was worried about the sound.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bekahgentry

Latest posts