AFM delete by dealer?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Active Fuel Management. It switches to 4cyl mode when it doesn't need 8 to maintain speed.

If you have it, there's display setting on the DIC that shows how many cylinders are active ... not sure if the 08 were six speed transmissions, I believe (but I'm not certain) that AFM is relevant to the six speed.

Last edited:

Blazed

Accepting Donations
Reaction score
I'm about 99% sure 6.2 Afm started in 09.
I've researched it a bit when I had my tahoe.
And I know for a fact my 08 Denali doesn't have it and I have a 6 speed.

6.2 has had 6 speed since 07

Ponchonutty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh, gotcha. I this is what I was thinking. BTW, my '08 does have the 6speed but I never feel it nor see it in the DIC that it's switching down to 6, 4 cyl.

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no 6 cylinder mode. It goes from 8 to 4, that's it.

If you have AFM, when your DIC is set to "Instant Fuel Economy", you'll see the MPG you are currently getting at that moment and another icon that says V8 MODE or V4 MODE depending on what the engine is doing.

tights24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure if the 08 were six speed transmissions, I believe (but I'm not certain) that AFM is relevant to the six speed.

For the 5.3, it's not limited to the 6speed. I have an 07 with a 4 speed and have AFM. Just some info.

This is actually the first that I've read that this is directly proportional to me burning a quart of oil every 3K miles though. Interesting. Will need to be looking into a tune sooner rather than later now.... Crap.

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always been big on saving gas, not for liberal reasons....... but because I am cheap to a certain extent. This AFM causing oil consumption has made me rethink the whole thing though.

White knight

Reaction score
Yeah, there are a multitude of posts on the other forums where silverado guys go through pretty good explanations of what happens when it goes to v4 mode and why lots of highway miles in that mode makes it more likely to be an oil burner after 50k. My suburban started almost exactly at 50k and we are going through the oil burn test right now. On mine, the oil doesn't even register in the dipstick 1500 miles after an oil change.

Fortunately, it is well under warranty and I seem to have a helpful dealership.

For what it's worth, there are also a large number of posts from others with the same 5.3 engine who never had it burn a drop. And, it doesn't appear that the oil burning causes any other problems in the engine.

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kinda wish Blackbeard offered a AFM delete tune for a fraction of the cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14

Latest posts