AFM delete by dealer?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MudnRox

Rebel without a clue
Reaction score
Do dealers have the ability to disable the AFM/DOD on these vehicles?? If so, how do I go about getting it done?? Is it something I discuss with the service writer when I take it in. Or is it best to speak with the diagnostic tech directly?? Vehicle is going in this Thurs. for a warranty issue.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would you want it deleted?

Not sure why the OP desires this change but I had mine deleted as part of my BB tune aiming to restore proper shifting behavior to my old Denali's 6.2 transmission. It was one of many elements changed to effectively achieve this goal and do away with the horrible upshift lag/hesitation that plagues these trucks.

I doubt any dealers will be willing to touch this, but it might be one of the parameters that can be changed with a handheld tuner, I just don't know which cause I've never used any.

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe because of the oil consumption issue.

The oil bakes itself onto the rings.

Pumping hot air without fuel.

Bad GM. :nono:

Last edited:

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2.... I don't know if gm ever got it right but the Afm is the cause of allot of stress for allot of owners.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like serge said I'm doubtful a dealer would do this but hit up BlackBear for a tune and have Justin tune it out. I've had my tune for almost a year and have been happy ever since!! My life is MUCH happier without AFM and I've seen my oil consumption come down to virtually ZERO!

OP
OP
MudnRox

MudnRox

Rebel without a clue
Reaction score
I would like to have it done for the of reasons mentioned above, driveability and oil consumption. I know of several handheld tuners that can disable it and most of the dyno tune guys around here disable it as well during their tuning process. I'm simply trying to find a way to have it disabled without using a programmer or having a tune done. Just trying to save a few bucks if possible. If I could find a tech that would/could do it on say, a cash deal; I'm still money ahead of what a tune or programmer costs.

I have borrowed a buddy's Range AFM delete and have run it for a few months. I'm very happy with the way the vehicle acts with the range in place. But the only drawback I see is that the vehicle is constantly charging when the Range is in use. If I take the Range out, the gauge drops to 14 or slightly above and stays there.

Last edited:

White knight

Reaction score
Interesting - I didn't know that about the charging. I was considering the "range" afm delete on my new Denali. Any other negatives? How high does the charging get and why is that?

OP
OP
MudnRox

MudnRox

Rebel without a clue
Reaction score
Normally the needle stays close to the 14v mark(give or take a few volts). When the Range is in, the needle is closer to the next mark to the right of the 14. It's just a white line with no number(I'm not sure what it's numerical value is). Or I'd call it somewhere between the 2 and 3 o'clock position. My concern is that it may be overcharging the system or battery. May see premature alternator issues with continued use.

But the Range performs great. It does what it is suppose to do. And I'd say overall it is a very nice product.

I did look at their website and it talks about a slight battery draw but they state that if the vehicle is driven daily(which mine is) that the battery draw should not be an issue. They also state that if the vehicle is not to be driven for more than a few days to remove the Range device.

I have not had the chance to speak with anyone at Range Technologies about this charging issue, but plan to do so some time within the next week.

The charging issue is the only problem I have had with the Range. I have used it for about 3500 miles.

Last edited:

White knight

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback- I'll look into it further. I plan to hang onto the new truck for a long time and would like to avoid issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT