aFe intake install on 2017 - issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BluVelvet2xHo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm trying to install the 54-74104 Momentum GT air intake & having trouble getting the new air box in position. It seems impossible to squeeze the box under the fender cross brace & get the pins in the rubber grommets at the same time. So far those molded pins are about 1" too far from the passenger fender to drop in. I'm considering leaving the OEM rubber pin out of this equation but haven't tried that yet.

If anyone has done this install & had similar issues, some tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated right now. Suggestions like removing 1 or both cross braces, leaving that rubber pin/plug out, etc?

TIA

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i helped a buddy install one on his silverado. we removed one bolt from cross brace & swung it out of way.
then swing it back after install.

ctide21

Reaction score
AFE told me that the Momentum kit will not fit the 2017 6.2 and that is why they have the new model. Not sure what changed under the hood to cause the fitment issues.

16blkltz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to install the 54-74104 Momentum GT air intake & having trouble getting the new air box in position. It seems impossible to squeeze the box under the fender cross brace & get the pins in the rubber grommets at the same time. So far those molded pins are about 1" too far from the passenger fender to drop in. I'm considering leaving the OEM rubber pin out of this equation but haven't tried that yet.

If anyone has done this install & had similar issues, some tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated right now. Suggestions like removing 1 or both cross braces, leaving that rubber pin/plug out, etc?

TIA

I just installed that same exact CAI onto my 2016 Tahoe LTZ 5.3L today and had to remove the two bolts (circled in green in below photo) and swing bars/brackets out of the way. Before doing that, I tried EVERY way possible to get that airbox in without any success. Those bolts and bars HAD to be moved out of the way. Then it would go in nicely.

IMG_4184 copy.jpg

OP
OP
B

BluVelvet2xHo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did the install last night but had to go a little farther than you guys did. I removed the grill to radiator cover so I could pull that bracket out. Then I removed the bigger brace since it uses 3 mounting points on the 17. In hindsight, I probably could have swung the smaller brace outta the way but it only took a couple extra minutes to remove/install. First tried to install with only the smaller brace removed but the firewall brace just wouldn't allow the box to squeeze in. I also left the removable pin out of the install cuz it was such a tight fit getting the 2 molded pins in. When I had it all together, nothing moved at all so it's not going anywhere without the 3rd pin.

Thanks for the suggestions & help.

Hoping to do the Free Travel Mod this weekend with 70 degree weather. Need to prep it for a NorCalSS 3/6 drop & swaybars that are hopefully coming soon.

OP
OP
B

BluVelvet2xHo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sometimes wives can be such a PITA! She's not happy with the noise this intake makes (growls). I got the "my Tahoe was so quiet before this". What's really yanking my chain is the fact that she even told me before we got it that she wanted me to change the exhaust cuz she wanted it to rumble a little. This intake makes less noise than exhaust I would think. She did admit she felt the intake helped the off idle stumble a little - which I despise.

Will installing the plug help knock the noise down? I left it out.

PS - I can't wait to find out how much she hates the 3/6 drop I'm going to do next. Already told me if I screw up the floaty ride I'm dead. Maybe I'll just tell her to go get something else & I'll just take this one. LOL

16blkltz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes wives can be such a PITA! She's not happy with the noise this intake makes (growls). I got the "my Tahoe was so quiet before this". What's really yanking my chain is the fact that she even told me before we got it that she wanted me to change the exhaust cuz she wanted it to rumble a little. This intake makes less noise than exhaust I would think. She did admit she felt the intake helped the off idle stumble a little - which I despise.

Will installing the plug help knock the noise down? I left it out.

PS - I can't wait to find out how much she hates the 3/6 drop I'm going to do next. Already told me if I screw up the floaty ride I'm dead. Maybe I'll just tell her to go get something else & I'll just take this one. LOL

In regards to the plug, it was either this thread or another one...someone said it got a little louder, so based on that comment, re-installing the plug should make it quieter.

I actually forgot to remove the plug on my CAI to test it out. Hope I remember to do it later today. :Stupid Me::emotions122:

OP
OP
B

BluVelvet2xHo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks 16blkltz, I noticed yours was installed so was hoping you had an opinion on that. I'll give it a try so maybe I can keep it installed.

Reaction score
In regards to the plug, it was either this thread or another one...someone said it got a little louder, so based on that comment, re-installing the plug should make it quieter.

I actually forgot to remove the plug on my CAI to test it out. Hope I remember to do it later today. :Stupid Me::emotions122:

I felt the goal
Was way too much with plug out, I reinstalled the plug today and it now sounds great!!! My recommendation would be to install the plug and leave it in