Advice: Options to avoid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I find the mechanical suspension to be fine. If you really wanted to, you could probably upgrade the sway bars and the struts for $1500 or so; I just haven't seen the need.

I avoided the magnothremalsensodynochronomotojustable suspension because I'd just had a similar high-tech suspension on my last BMW. It was a complete bust in that it had three settings - "Sport" (soft), "Normal" (softer) and "Comfort" (untenably soft). $3500 option on that car. Awful.

Years ago I had an Audi with the adjustable air suspension. At about 75,000 miles the air reservoirs started to go, at about $1300 per corner to fix.

I have plenty of experience with high-tech suspensions, all of it bad. I pass on those now.

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I avoided the magnothremalsensodynochronomotojustable suspension because I'd just had a similar high-tech suspension on my last BMW. It was a complete bust in that it had three settings - "Sport" (soft), "Normal" (softer) and "Comfort" (untenably soft). $3500 option on that car. Awful.
Most BMWs have 3 to 4 Suspension choices, my 2016 X5 had the $950 adaptive M suspension. It was awesome and I wouldn’t have gone without it. The one I test drove without felt like you were riding on bumpstops with blown shocks.

I prefer MRC, it controls a lot of the flopping and wallowing. I’d hate to drive a burb/XL that felt like a literal boat on water. But like anything, the system turns into additional maintenance/expenses.

Everyone has their own preferences, wants and must haves. But some options are more useful than others. Like the smart key. Is remote start standard now?

Last edited:

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer MRC, it controls a lot of the flopping and wallowing. I’d have to drive a burb/XL that felt like a literal boat on water.

That might be remedied by the sway bars and struts/shocks as noted above, though.

Again, it all a personal choice thing though...

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That might be remedied by the sway bars and struts/shocks as noted above, though.

Again, it all a personal choice thing though...
It definitely is a personal choice, I prefer on the firm side. Not worn out suspension feeling..

I doubt sway bars can help. I had a few different LT Tahoe’s for loaners a few times. Pulling into a parking spot when you’d stop, it’d rock. Squishy squishy. I don’t think sway bars or stiff performance tires can help the affects from soft shocks and springs. Something that MRC definitely helps with.

If I were to keep my vehicles past 50k miles (which I don’t) MRC would make me nervous, admittedly because it’s not uncommon to run these things past 200k miles like nothing. And I’m sure the suspension would be your first issue.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most BMWs have 3 to 4 Suspension choices, my 2016 X5 had the $950 adaptive M suspension. It was awesome and I wouldn’t have gone without it. The one I test drove without felt like you were riding on bumpstops with blown shocks.

I prefer MRC, it controls a lot of the flopping and wallowing. I’d hate to drive a burb/XL that felt like a literal boat on water. But like anything, the system turns into additional maintenance/expenses.

Everyone has their own preferences, wants and must haves. But some options are more useful than others. Like the smart key. Is remote start standard now?
Mine was a 2013 F10 535 with the Dynamic Handling Package - which (and I absolutely am not trying to compete) is a more robust suspension product over there than the Adaptive M suspension is.

I had a 2005 E60 545 with a mechanical sport suspension and then the 2013 F10 with DHP. Every minute, every day, all week, the E60 was the better handling car. Not close. I had 3 BMWs in a row, and the F10 was a huge letdown.

I don't feel a lot of "flopping and wallowing" but it's a matter of what a person is used to. If you drive up in a Porsche Cayman and climb into a Tahoe, the Tahoe is going to drive big. If you drive the Tahoe every day, it feels like your car and you stop noticing the size. Which again is why I think the fancy suspensions are gimmicks.

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you drive up in a Porsche Cayman and climb into a Tahoe, the Tahoe is going to drive big. If you drive the Tahoe every day, it feels like your car and you stop noticing the size. Which again is why I think the fancy suspensions are gimmicks.
But I was going from a suburban with MRC to a Tahoe without it and the Tahoe definitely felt bigger and floppier every time. So the Porsche argument is rather irrelevant.

And FWIW I don’t know anyone who was impressed with the way the F10 drove. It was a bunk platform. Same with the F15 and why it’s not getting an LCI.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Skip the 22” wheels. Lots of options are built into the trim packages. We went with the Denali and it been “ok”, but I dread taking our snow tires/ rims off and installing the 22’s on stock rubber. The ride is dramatically worse.

Also, I went Denali for the 6.2 and 8 speed trans. At 42k now and I’m less than thrilled with the trans. Not sure if the 5.3/6 speed is better. I do love the power of the 6.2 though. Looks like the 18’s get a 10 speed now.

Why don’t you like the 8 speed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why don’t you like the 8 speed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure why this member dosnt. My wife went from a ‘15 slt (6 speed) to a ‘16 Denali with the 8 speed. The 8 speed is hands down better in every way. Not sure if it has anything to do with the 6.2 vs the 5.3 or not, but the 8 speed in her car shifts fantastic and just floats along at all speeds. I am willing to bet the 10 speed is even better yet.