"Adventure/Overland" Build Ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Lutha

Lutha

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Forget the trailer. Depending on how much gear you have to take with you, you could just build a full-length cargo rack on top. Have it extend from the top of the windshield all the way to the hatch when it is opened, you'll have just over a 48" wide x 108" long "bed" for all your gear to set in. It'll also give you a very easy way to mount any LED light bars on all four sides.

And, if you have a tarp with you and a few bungee cords and some rope, you could attach the tarp to the rack, and tie the opposite corners off to a tree, pretty much a lean-to to sit under and relax after dinner.

A buddy has a 26' trailer he takes camping, and when I go to spend a night or two, I sack out in the back of my XL. Two big heavy sleeping bags on the floor, and a blanket on top is all that I need.

That's cuz he's bringing everything else! HaHa. Spent quite a few nights in the back of the hoe while traveling, but it was just me and the dog. I have to accommodate more now. Can't speak for Mike, but this is the type of trailer I'm referring to: http://adventuretrailers.com/trailers/chaser/

Last edited:

MikeLade

Reaction score
Forget the trailer. Depending on how much gear you have to take with you, you could just build a full-length cargo rack on top. Have it extend from the top of the windshield all the way to the hatch when it is opened, you'll have just over a 48" wide x 108" long "bed" for all your gear to set in. It'll also give you a very easy way to mount any LED light bars on all four sides.

And, if you have a tarp with you and a few bungee cords and some rope, you could attach the tarp to the rack, and tie the opposite corners off to a tree, pretty much a lean-to to sit under and relax after dinner.

A buddy has a 26' trailer he takes camping, and when I go to spend a night or two, I sack out in the back of my XL. Two big heavy sleeping bags on the floor, and a blanket on top is all that I need.

Trailer would be single axle and would not be very big. I would be going out with a 4 door jk and he has basically no storage space. Even if I'm not towing the trailer, it will be convenient to have it rather than packing the truck or having to climb around to get stuff off the roof.

Other thing is, it's easier to unhook the trailer on Sunday so I can take the truck to work Monday. When you get home, it's a pain in the ass to have to unpack the whole truck lol.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Yeah I was typing when you posted lol.

We will see how it goes. I may end up building a trailer for supplies and recovery gear so we can sleep in the truck. If I'm towing, the 4l60 is going to hate me. Trucool 40k trans cooler will go on this summer for sure.

You can rebuild to a 4l65e pretty reasonably...

MikeLade

Reaction score
You can rebuild to a 4l65e pretty reasonably...

It's an Escalade AWD so it has a 4l65e in it already. Truck has 193k on it and the trans has less than 30k on it. It's fresh but I'd rather protect it best I can than kill a $1600 rebuild.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
It's an Escalade AWD so it has a 4l65e in it already. Truck has 193k on it and the trans has less than 30k on it. It's fresh but I'd rather protect it best I can than kill a $1600 rebuild.

In that case, I don't think the trans will "hate" you for towing a little single axle trailer....do you have a beast sun shell in it?

MikeLade

Reaction score
In that case, I don't think the trans will "hate" you for towing a little single axle trailer....do you have a beast sun shell in it?

It's was a stock rebuild. Lost the band and clutches due to a bad TPS not providing proper signal to the ecu for line pressure.

I didn't have the space to pull the trans myself at the time so I had to pay for R&R as well. There wasn't room in the budget for the beast shell.

OP
OP
Lutha

Lutha

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just finished the Nivomat swap with the lift, tires, and treads aspect of this build and I could not be happier. I did the 2 inch coil spacer in the rear from supreme suspensions, Moog Z71 coil springs, Bilstein 5100s (front/rear), and extended sway bar end links in the rear. The tires are 285/75/16 General Grabber X3s and the wheels are 16x8 with 4.5 inch backspace. I already had Truxx lift/level keys in front with Bilstein 5100s up there. They just adjusted the keys to level.

I also had to replace the upper and lower control arms up front anyways so I went with the Moog Problem Solver series that have extra camber/caster adjustment in the upper arms. I have absolutely no rubbing and I have not trimmed a thing. I'm not sure why that is but perhaps it is the extra alignment adjustment? The alignment tech said they were able to achieve "perfect" alignment. That is a guess on my part though. Anyways, I'm quite pleased. It rides better now than it did before and I can't wait to get it on some trails. Thanks to everyone on this forum that has shared their experiences with this swap.

IMG_20171118_133214.jpg IMG_20171118_133225.jpg IMG_20171118_133307.jpg IMG_20171118_133340.jpg

Countryboy07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great! Seeing these 16" and 17" setups has really got me thinking of trying to find some 16x10 MT classics and 305/70/16 for our Yukon. Probably won't happen, but I've always been a fan of the classic look

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I just finished the Nivomat swap with the lift, tires, and treads aspect of this build and I could not be happier. I did the 2 inch coil spacer in the rear from supreme suspensions, Moog Z71 coil springs, Bilstein 5100s (front/rear), and extended sway bar end links in the rear. The tires are 285/75/16 General Grabber X3s and the wheels are 16x8 with 4.5 inch backspace. I already had Truxx lift/level keys in front with Bilstein 5100s up there. They just adjusted the keys to level.

I also had to replace the upper and lower control arms up front anyways so I went with the Moog Problem Solver series that have extra camber/caster adjustment in the upper arms. I have absolutely no rubbing and I have not trimmed a thing. I'm not sure why that is but perhaps it is the extra alignment adjustment? The alignment tech said they were able to achieve "perfect" alignment. That is a guess on my part though. Anyways, I'm quite pleased. It rides better now than it did before and I can't wait to get it on some trails. Thanks to everyone on this forum that has shared their experiences with this swap.

View attachment 187001 View attachment 187002 View attachment 187003 View attachment 187004

How are those X3's treating you? Debating them against KO2's.

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 187001 View attachment 187002 View attachment 187003 View attachment 187004

Looks great! So let me get this straight, you replaced the LCAs and the UCAs? Were they damaged or just worn out? And what wears out on them? Bushings and things like that, made of rubber or plastic?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak