"Adventure/Overland" Build Ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lutha

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am considering making my 00 Tahoe into my adventure vehicle. Its a rusty old beast (from IL) with about 160,000, 5.3L, LT, 4x4, with premium ride suspension still in the back, and 3.73 gears (locking diff). I would like some thoughts about what to do with it and I'll try to break down my needs. But the basic conversation going on in my head is that if I'm going to spend this amount of money on this, why don't I do this too, and this and that, which ends up working towards a complete re-build. I'm not going to get into a big story, but this hoe has a history with me and I want to preserve her. To me, spending money on her is more preferable than buying new or newer and then putting a lot of money and time into that. I realize she might not be the best for this, but this truck has never let me down. Here's what I need to do:
1) Must be able to reliably handle "moderate" off-road trails/roads and be capable of some heavier stuff occasionally.
2) Needs to be able to handle an increased weight/load (perhaps a 1,000 lbs over stock) while still maintaining that off road capability.
3) It would be nice to maintain factory fuel efficiency if possible.
4) Performance and function are primary considerations, not looks.
5) Budget matters. Probably willing to put up to $20k in this beast if she will last me another 10 years doing what it needs to.

What I have been considering, and is what I would like thoughts on is the following: BDS 4.5 lift, runs roughly 5k installed locally, wheels/tires another $2k (treads are needed anyways, so...). This seems expensive to me for this rig right now. If I could accomplish increased clearance at a lower cost, that would be better. Any ideas?

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For reliability I would modify as little as possible. Do you NEED a 4.5" lift? Big lift + big tires means you're putting a lot more stress on other components like CV joints. To say nothing of what it will do to your MPG.

If you can get by with a 2 - 3" key and spring/spacer lift (going to Z71 springs will net you about 2" right there) then that will lower your costs dramatically.

What size tires are you planning on running? You can easily run 33's with a simple key and spacer lift.

I'm running keys and Z71 springs (no spacers) on my '04 Burb and I think it's good enough for mild off-roading. I'd have no hesitation taking on the Mojave Road, White Rim Trail, the Alpine Loop or similar trails in it.

OP
OP
Lutha

Lutha

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For reliability I would modify as little as possible. Do you NEED a 4.5" lift? Big lift + big tires means you're putting a lot more stress on other components like CV joints. To say nothing of what it will do to your MPG.

If you can get by with a 2 - 3" key and spring/spacer lift (going to Z71 springs will net you about 2" right there) then that will lower your costs dramatically.

What size tires are you planning on running? You can easily run 33's with a simple key and spacer lift.

I'm running keys and Z71 springs (no spacers) on my '04 Burb and I think it's good enough for mild off-roading. I'd have no hesitation taking on the Mojave Road, White Rim Trail, the Alpine Loop or similar trails in it.

I had the truxx lift/level kit put on it with 5100s in front. The rear, with the spacers, bottomed out over speed bumps! Had that taken out and just had them level the front (keys) out. Yet still, that back end will ass out over nothing. I need more than that. And I have thought about replacing those nivomats in the back with springs and new shocks. Is this reliable and semi-rugged? Where to get this done? What do I need? Just the Z71 coils and new bilsteins? Alpine pass is a start btw! Don't think I would do that as she sits. I'm on the Front Range

OP
OP
Lutha

Lutha

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
And tires would prolly be 33 min. That's what I'm thinking anyways for a trailer, but that is an entirely different conversation.

MadDogDelpho

Texcellent
Reaction score
I definitely recommend replacing the nivomat with new springs and shocks. The springs that come with nivomats are garb, and it'd be way cheaper to get new springs and shocks than to simply replace the nivomats.

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
I had the truxx lift/level kit put on it with 5100s in front. The rear, with the spacers, bottomed out over speed bumps! Had that taken out and just had them level the front (keys) out. Yet still, that back end will ass out over nothing. I need more than that. And I have thought about replacing those nivomats in the back with springs and new shocks. Is this reliable and semi-rugged? Where to get this done? What do I need? Just the Z71 coils and new bilsteins? Alpine pass is a start btw! Don't think I would do that as she sits. I'm on the Front Range
Drop the current set up out of there and add z71 springs and use the bilstein 5100s in the back too. Rugged at speed and takes impact well, but doesnt try to launch you out of the seat going over a speed bump.

Depending on how well the truck has been maintained, I would focus first on maintenence items. Bushings and fittings up front, gaskets in engine, check for any other leaks. Plugs and plug wires, flush and fill fluids. Building an overland adventure vehicle is fun, and part of what I want from mine, but make sure everything else is in good shape. Spending 6k on a lift and tires means nothing when it breaks down because you missed a radiator leak, etc.

plus, these trucks are super easy to work on.

OP
OP
Lutha

Lutha

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Drop the current set up out of there and add z71 springs and use the bilstein 5100s in the back too. Rugged at speed and takes impact well, but doesnt try to launch you out of the seat going over a speed bump.

Depending on how well the truck has been maintained, I would focus first on maintenence items. Bushings and fittings up front, gaskets in engine, check for any other leaks. Plugs and plug wires, flush and fill fluids. Building an overland adventure vehicle is fun, and part of what I want from mine, but make sure everything else is in good shape. Spending 6k on a lift and tires means nothing when it breaks down because you missed a radiator leak, etc.

plus, these trucks are super easy to work on.

I've had her for about 7 years now and mechanically she is fit. Got rust, but mechanically sound. I am currently having some bushing issues in the front and the rear output seal of the transfer case (90% sure I am talking about the right seal) has been pesky over the years, but other than that she is pretty fit mechanically. Should note that this vehicle has always been in the family, so I know it's history from picking it up at the dealer.

So, back to suspension...I would like to start with the springs and shocks in the rear. It seems its a necessary item if I went with the lift anyways (at least the lift I'm considering). I was also going to do the control arms/bushings at the same time as lift. So, my calcs include those on cost of lift. Anyhoo...

Suspension is my first question. Other components to come later. I'm not joking when I say these mechanics out here look at me like I'm talking a foreign language when I tell them I DO NOT have auto ride, I have Smooth ride. I've sent them info, yet they persist! HAHA. What do I need for the Z71 conversion? Just the springs and new shocks? No welds, cuts, etc. Just plug and play?

MikeLade

Reaction score
I'll be building my Escalade into a mild Overland rig in the next year or so.

Plans include custom bumpers and rock sliders as well as full skid plates underneath. Bumpers will be 3/16 plate. Front will house a winch and rear will have a dual swing out setup on it.

Suspension has keys and spacers for now but that will change. Hoping to work with BDS for a 4.5" kit for the front and a custom long arm setup for the rear.

I'll be running 285/70r17 for now as they are just over 33" tall and not 12.5 wide so it will help with fuel economy and on road handling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518