Adjusting the parking brake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ed 1942

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve tried to combine everything I’ve read into one procedure for adjusting the parking brake on a 2004 Chevy Tahoe. The procedure is fairly simple and worked good on my vehicle without the use of any special tools.

1) Loosen lug nuts and place on jack stands. Place the stands under the stabilizer bar or other safe location of your choice.

2) Remove wheels as well as calipers with brackets. Use 18 mm 6-point ½” drive socket and breaker bar. Socket is $6 at auto parts store if you don't have one.

3) Remove rotor/drum assembly

4) Remove horseshoe shaped brake lining for parking brake. Pry off of adjusters and then slide off retaining clip at opposite end. Slide over axel flange by tipping it at an angle.

5) Remove threaded star adjuster and ensure the two pieces rotate freely – lubricate if necessary.

6) Open adjuster about 1/8” and re-install. Make sure the slot for the lining in adjuster is pointing up and down. Note: Maximum adjuster opening is about 3/16”.

7) Install new horseshoe lining and slip under retaining clip. Slip onto groove in threaded star adjuster first – use screw driver if necessary. Slip in groove on stationary piece of adjuster.

8) Repeat for opposite axle.

9) Replace rotor/drum. Add (2) lug nuts upside down to hold in place.

10) Apply parking brake and release to center lining.

11) Rotate both rotor/drum assemblies and check for rubbing of the parking brake lining.

12) Repeat 6) through 11) until both sides are slightly rubbing.

13) Replace calipers and brackets. Add some tread lock to bolts as GM did and torque.

14) Re-install wheels.

15) Apply parking brake. Attempt to rotate wheels to check function of parking brake.

15) Lower vehicle, set parking brake and torque lug nuts to 140 ft. lb.

Note: If parking brake is not holding, you can take another ½ turn on both adjusters. You can also check cable adjuster on outside of frame below passenger door. Use 12 mm deep socket to tighten. This will not have the same effect as the ½ turn on the adjusters but better than nothing. If you tighten, make sure you raise vehicle and check rear wheels for drag.

RGB1978

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Doubeleive,
Do you know what the dealership did to make them hold?
I just put new parking brake shoes on, adjusted them until they rubbed then backed off, put everything back together and tried parking brake pedal. Went to floor and parking brakes had no hold at all. I’ve read about a way to adjust the cable pull at the pedal but my pedal doesn’t have the hole in is the way others describe.
Thanks!
RGB1978

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JGM70

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Doubeleive,
Do you know what the dealership did to make them hold?
I just put new parking brake shoes on, adjusted them until they rubbed then backed off, put everything back together and tried parking brake pedal. Went to floor and parking brakes had no hold at all. I’ve read about a way to adjust the cable pull at the pedal but my pedal doesn’t have the hole in is the way others describe.
Thanks!
RGB1978

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Looking for the adjustor at the actuator. Did all the brakes and calipers. Bakes are great, but Parking Brakes won't adjust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt