Adjusting the panhard bar question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCoRPiuS7

Reaction score
When adjusting the panhard bar. What do you measure off? I leveled off the fender and measured to the center of the axle. Any input would be great. I ended up with 3 and a 1/8" on both sides. Would the change mess up my alignment?
Spohn panhard bar

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the most basic sense, the panhard is to adjust the lateral location of the frame and body in relation to the axle. You adjust it so that the axle is centered with the vehicle resting at ride height. Butt a tape measure against the inner fender and measure to a point on the tire, such as a center line in the tread. Measure the other side and compare the numbers. Adjust the panhard to pull or push the body whichever direction it needs to go to center the axle, making both of those measurements the same. Easy peasy.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put a straight edge against the outside of my tire and measured from that to my fender lip.

OP
OP
S

SCoRPiuS7

Reaction score
Did it work out pretty good? Was easy to adjust but want to know if I was doing it right

OP
OP
S

SCoRPiuS7

Reaction score
In the most basic sense, the panhard is to adjust the lateral location of the frame and body in relation to the axle. You adjust it so that the axle is centered with the vehicle resting at ride height. Butt a tape measure against the inner fender and measure to a point on the tire, such as a center line in the tread. Measure the other side and compare the numbers. Adjust the panhard to pull or push the body whichever direction it needs to go to center the axle, making both of those measurements the same. Easy peasy.
Never thought of measuring from the inner fender. I'll check it out again tomorrow after work

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did it work out pretty good? Was easy to adjust but want to know if I was doing it right
Of course it worked good! As long as you're measuring from the same point of the body on either side to the same point of the drivetrain it works. The reason for adjusting this is so the tires tuck the same into the fenders, especially for those of us with big tires running on lowered suspension. I needed mine exactly centered because the passenger side would rub the inside of the fender over hard bumps. That's the reason I measured to the fender lip. It's an easy place to get an exact measurement plus it's the place that's critical for me.

OP
OP
S

SCoRPiuS7

Reaction score
Went and re-measured from the inner fenders and there is only 1/8" from side to side. So I'm only out a 1/16". Im just going to leave it where it is and also added blue loctite

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a straight edge against the outside of my tire and measured from that to my fender lip.

The straight edge on the tire method can work the same if you don't have any sidewall bulge at the bottom. Jacking up the car by the rear axle would eliminate this, but then you've made taking a simple measurement into a 3-step/3-piece-of-equipment process (jack, straight edge and tape measure). I doubt you have any sidewall bulge to be considered with your wheel and tire combo.

Never thought of measuring from the inner fender. I'll check it out again tomorrow after work

Inner fender, frame, fender lip... Doesn't matter as log as it compares the location of the wheels to the body and you measure the same points on both sides.

1/8" is definitely not even worth breaking out the wrenches. You're good to go.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The straight edge on the tire method can work the same if you don't have any sidewall bulge at the bottom. Jacking up the car by the rear axle would eliminate this, but then you've made taking a simple measurement into a 3-step/3-piece-of-equipment process (jack, straight edge and tape measure).
Oh yeah, I have pretty much no sidewall period lol. Forgot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2015YukonDen

Latest posts