Adding USB to 07 Denali?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jacoby

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm sure I haven't found this already existing thread, but I was wondering if anyone has added USB/iPhone interfacing to their existing factory setup? I've got an 07 Denali with the in-dash screen with FM, XM, DVD, and AUX; No existing USB in the console. I recently purchased an iSimple Tranzit bluetooth kit that was fairly inexpensive through a local audio shop. Only problem is the audio comes through via FM transmitter and their is significant audio quality lost (sounds like I'm listening to an FM station through a 90s model boombox). I was wondering if anyone has done this and what kit you used? I'm trying to avoid the aftermarket avenue as much as possible, but if that's my only option then that's my only option. Cost is not really an issue at the moment, so any and all suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance!

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
USB was an add on to OEM HU starting in 2009 I believe. There are devices you can buy that attach to the SAT or similar connection on OEM HU to give it usb but I rather replace the whole thing with a Pioneer, Kenwood, etc double din. The OEM HU still has limitations and if money isnt an issue and you will probably spend around 200 for the most basic USB add ons, might as well go all the way.

OP
OP
Jacoby

Jacoby

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've got another suggestion. What about buying a 2010-2014 oem radio with everything including the micro usb in the back? I'm assuming I could run a cable through to charge port on dash or in console and everything should just plug-n-play, correct??

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got another suggestion. What about buying a 2010-2014 oem radio with everything including the micro usb in the back? I'm assuming I could run a cable through to charge port on dash or in console and everything should just plug-n-play, correct??

Yes this would work with no problem. In fact, you can buy the usb cigarette lighter piece and run the usb from the newer radio tot his lighter piece for easy access. The only reason why I'm against this is the USB on the 07-14 is still limited. It can play music but nothing else. Even worst, there may be limitations on what type of usb will play on it. You will spend atleast 300 on a newer unit with usb. For less than twice the price, you can get an aftermarket unit that will not only play music from way more sources, you also get to play pictures, videos, on a better screen with a faster/newer usb technology with improved sound, the benefits are a lot. You could go with a non navi usb but you still deal with so many limitations. This is the one opportunity to make your car somewhat relevant or ahead of the game.

OP
OP
Jacoby

Jacoby

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes this would work with no problem. In fact, you can buy the usb cigarette lighter piece and run the usb from the newer radio tot his lighter piece for easy access. The only reason why I'm against this is the USB on the 07-14 is still limited. It can play music but nothing else. Even worst, there may be limitations on what type of usb will play on it. You will spend atleast 300 on a newer unit with usb. For less than twice the price, you can get an aftermarket unit that will not only play music from way more sources, you also get to play pictures, videos, on a better screen with a faster/newer usb technology with improved sound, the benefits are a lot. You could go with a non navi usb but you still deal with so many limitations. This is the one opportunity to make your car somewhat relevant or ahead of the game.
What would you recommend to get? I want to be able to keep xm, rear camera, steering controls, and rear dvd. I would like to add usb (iphone, charging) and bluetooth (not necessary but it's nice when it works). Not really concerned with keeping navigation.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What would you recommend to get? I want to be able to keep xm, rear camera, steering controls, and rear dvd. I would like to add usb (iphone, charging) and bluetooth (not necessary but it's nice when it works). Not really concerned with keeping navigation.

There are many options old and new. Pretty much and Pioneer NEX series or Kenwood unit would be my recommendation. They have similar features and you dont need the highest level one to accomplish what you want. I have the Pioneer NEX 4200 which utilizes your phone for GPS rather than seperate unit built in to the head unit that needs to be upgraded every so often. Everything you mentioned can be accomplished. Rear seat entertainment can be retained, along with all controls. The only thing I hate about these units is their ability to charge your phone via USB. They charge but very slowly and if you are using the phone for Android Auto/Carplay/GPS, you probably wont go anywhere. I hear the Kenwood or atleast the top of the line Kenwood has ability to charge better but not sure how accurate that is. That is the only downfall but obviously you dont even have an option to charge with OEM. With any of these units you will have to buy additional cables to retain the setups but atleast the options are there. The only advantage I guess with Pioneer over Kenwood is possibly cheaper price and so far more videos online on how to do things so you dont have to get a shop involved but I've heard the Kenwood was a better unit.

There are a few links on here discussing Pioneer NEX installs. Whichever way you go, the concept/process is very similar.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would call Crutchfield and talk to one of their advisors to see which unit and all the adapters you will need

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just like there are many different head units that will fit, there are multiple harness setups that will work such as PAC, Maestro, etc. Priced differently and some have benefits over others. I went with PAC but Maestro very popular on here. I know for PAC, you have to buy a seperate harness to retain rear seat entertainment.