Adding some HP and getting rid of DOD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
sfc_jones

sfc_jones

Reaction score
eventually I want to install headers and dual exhaust but keeping the exhaust tone as close to stock as possible. My intentions are to appear stock and not make any contributions to any city or state general funds and most importantly keep my insurance rates down.

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$1000 is pretty good for all that. I'm in for sound clip and results.

Diese1nut

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The oil pump is must. I put the Mellings high flow high volume in my 5.3 pickup with 210,000 and it is the best thing I ever did. No more cold ticking. Quieted everything down. 60+ psi all the time. Non AFM motor.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in for this. I'm trying to prepare myself for the same stuff.
Why did you choose that cam? I'm trying to figure what I want to go with but don't know much about cams.

As for headers and exhaust. I'm in NC and get sniffed and visual. Before here I grew up in MA, same if not worse than NC. As long as you have cats in the factory location or close to the factory location you should not have any problems with emissions.
I'm looking at speeds kits because of cost and I can modify them without being too concerned. Also being all 304 ss and 3" is a pretty sweet deal.

Might want to look into one of these to. A little extra insurance.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/142210974205?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

OP
OP
sfc_jones

sfc_jones

Reaction score
I want a few HP's without going full bore. This cam allows me to maintain a stock torque converter and hopefully maintain decent mpg. The drawback is it will have a little lope to it at idle but keeping the stock emissions and exhaust on it I will be ok. I live in a sniff free state so I don't have to worry about anything.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I want a few HP's without going full bore. This cam allows me to maintain a stock torque converter and hopefully maintain decent mpg. The drawback is it will have a little lope to it at idle but keeping the stock emissions and exhaust on it I will be ok. I live in a sniff free state so I don't have to worry about anything.
A lope is a drawback?

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score

From what little research I've done, a cam is probably not the best mod for maintaining mpg's ;) especially one with a lope haha. Lope is good :)
The cam you chose sounds good, at least what I can hear on the tube. You really should look into headers and exhaust, you're going to want to do it later for sure.

Drewskiii

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I will be doing similar to this hopefully next weekend, where do you guys buy your dod and vvt delete kits?