Adding Apple CarPlay to 2015 Yukon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jl449

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can go to gm Parts on line and call up 2016. Look for hmi 2.5 with or w/o nav, radio tuner, and USB port. Those are the three parts.

I don't have the parts yet. Hopefully next week.
I was wondering if you can just order the 3 parts directly from gm. But you still have to enter the Vin#.
I will order the parts from Greg since he will update it if there is a firmware update. May experience issues going to the dealership since the parts are not part of the 2015 model.

rattmobbins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man I'd love to due this on my Escalade. The 2015 CUE system leaves quite a bit to be desired. The added a bunch of features to the 2016 and gave it a faster processer. Might have to look into that...

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im having a hard time wrapping my Mind around the extra module for vim etc...

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the mvi and '16 modules...should be here mid next week

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh man. So just did the install. A couple notes:

Spend extra time looking for screws that hold the panels in, the instructions leave a couple out.

Make sure to test the apple cables that you have. The first one that I had been using in my car didn't work with the CarPlay, so I grabbed another from the house and it worked fine. They were both Apple factory wires...

Install takes about an hour, first time.

There is a "camera" icon on the home screen which doesn't do anything. I wish it operated the rear camera.

jl449

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool deal Fifty.. Went with MVI as well... Anthony is a great person to deal with. did you do the VIM unlock as well?
Post some pics if you can.
Also, where did you place the USB hub? From what I was told you can mount it in the front cup holder area or in the center console.

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It all looks the same really. The kit came with a USB replacement hub that replaced the one inside the big center console that replaced that chip looking insert thing.
I did vim,CarPlay and the 16 hardware

Mr. 960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It all looks the same really. The kit came with a USB replacement hub that replaced the one inside the big center console that replaced that chip looking insert thing.
I did vim,CarPlay and the 16 hardware
were you able to get a hold of Greg? He is a knowledgeable person, but does not always return calls promptly. I guess he gets quite busy.

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did. I was going to have him do it. Then my schedule with the baby and there schedule couldn't match...and then I just couldn't wrap my mind around using that kpac(sp?) module...so I ended up ordering from MVI...

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day...I am not sure the '16 components are worth spending the money on. I don't find any difference in movies, nav speed etc etc etc...

Car play is "ok"... I mean, I just use Bluetooth calling. I like the nav on the dash better than the Apple nav.

And knowing Apple. Before this CarPlay gets good, they will have 6 generations of Updates on phones and os systems and cables etc etc before it gets worthwhile...

If I did it again, I would keep my '15 hardware and just do the vim and nav unlock....