Adding aftermarket trans temp gauge?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4birdman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK, I tried to search but am finding all different kinds of info. Figure I'd just ask and see what comes up.

I have a 2005 Tahoe with 87k miles on it. It is pretty mint. I tow a flatbed trailer with cars on it, so I want to put a trans temp gauge in it so I can monitor it.

I know the truck is wired from the factory to have the trans temp gauge installed, and I know I can swap in a 2500 gauge cluster and make it work. But I also know that GM gauges suck something horrible and I don't trust them. My gauges right now are mint and work perfectly, I do not want to swap them out of mess with them. I really want to install an Autometer trans temp gauge, but wondering if there is anywhere to put the sender without drilling the pan. Or maybe I can use the wiring for the factory installed sender?

Any advice here?

choodock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Tahoe is the base model and wanted the trans temp gauge too. I got a great deal on a BullyDog Gauge Tuner and use it to monitor the trans temp, among others.

Attachments

• Finished.jpg
    Finished.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 86

Atomic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There isnt a good spot on the 60e for a temp probe without drilling the pan. You can upgrade to an aftermarket pan that already has a temp port...

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll need to enable the GM specific data for the trans temp to work.

a4edwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the escalade platinum cluster and it works fine. No messing with wires. Just unplug your old one then plug in the new one.

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the escalade platinum cluster and it works fine. No messing with wires. Just unplug your old one then plug in the new one.

Not on an '05. You have to have it programmed to your vin. Get one from dash solutions on eBay. I have an SS cluster myself.

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you swap out an tahoe cluster for escalade on 2004, is there any programming involved?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC