Adding a USB hub/port to a (Navigation) Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought this "14-15 FACTORY OEM GM CENTER CONSOLE USB PORT DOUBLE USB MINI PORT AND SD CARD" (I'll attach some pictures.

It has an aux port, two USB ports, an SD card reader and an extra mini USB port in the back. I tried connecting it with the USB port in the back, and of course that didn't work. However, there are 6 pins, next to the USB port in the back. I took the thing apart, to see what's in there, and I am pretty sure it is just a 'regular' 2.0 USB hub, The six pins, I am pretty sure are 4 USB pins and 2 "aux" pins (audio style probably).

The USB of the radio, is regular USB (not just for power, charging). It does accept one of these small USB "port hubs" that are powered through the USB connector, and all the hubbed ports work. It also seems to see a regular USB SD reader, it sees the disc (but complains it didn't recognize the format of it, probably because I formatted wrong).

btw: I found out that a lot of the later model "basic"radios, also have a USB port, so adding ports (into a aftermarket center console) would work with these radios in our SSVs and PPVs too

Long story short... Does anyone know what the pinout is on these connectors? (color of the wires typically would give away that secret, USB typically is red/black/green/white, red power, black ground, green data, white data ground.)
Once I know the pinout, it's easy to build a connector for it.)

(Someone knowing the pinout is probably a long shot, if I figure it out, I'll post it here.)

Also, what format do drives need to be for a Navigation radio to recognize them?

Ron

IMG_20180217_163058229.jpg IMG_20180217_163111529.jpg IMG_20180218_090728885.jpg IMG_20180218_090819541.jpg

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the part number on that?

On the NNBS style, the USB is just a straight through connecter, so USB in and mini USB out. It almost looks like it's a USB splitter and then the SD card and AUX jack go through the wiring...

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the part number on that?

On the NNBS style, the USB is just a straight through connecter, so USB in and mini USB out. It almost looks like it's a USB splitter and then the SD card and AUX jack go through the wiring...

The part number is gm 13581213 I am not a 100% sure, but I think the first two ping on the right (from the back) is the aux audio port.

I have been messing with trying different combinations. Typically a USB header (pins on PCBs etc) have a Red/White/Green/Black pinout, Red being +5V, Green Data+, White D- (data ground), and Black ground.

Ron

edit: It seems to connect to the wiring harness with part number: GM 22935864 I am pretty sure I I would see the actual harness, and see the colors of the wires, it would be fairly easy to figure out.

IMG_20180218_132423411.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One step at a time I guess, The GM Navigation Radio does know how to deal with an SD (I assume drives too) if they are formatted FAT32. (FAT16 doesn't work, I didn't even try anything else after it recognized FAT32.)

Ron

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One step at a time I guess, The GM Navigation Radio does know how to deal with an SD (I assume drives too) if they are formatted FAT32. (FAT16 doesn't work, I didn't even try anything else after it recognized FAT32.)

Ron

Also, the partition table needs to be 'msdos' (I tried GPT, but that didn't work, so the other ones probably won't work either)

Ron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14