Added OEM back up cam to aftermarket radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

harrim

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have been searching for information on installing a rear camera in my 2013 Tahoe and came across this post. I recently purchased a Rosen GM1210 unit to replace the factory radio and an Advent cam335 for the rear camera. Installing the head unit is not a problem but I am trying to determine how to install the camera where the existing applique is. The applique appears to be some type of hard plastic, so I was wondering if I could use some type of glue along with self tapping screws to connect the camera mount to the applique? Any suggestions? I have seen a couple of videos describing the removal of the rear panel so I don't think that will be a problem. Also, any suggestions on how to get power for the camera?

OP
OP
NathanJax

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The applique appears to be some type of hard plastic, so I was wondering if I could use some type of glue along with self tapping screws to connect the camera mount to the applique?

You can do that, yeah.

Any suggestions? I have seen a couple of videos describing the removal of the rear panel so I don't think that will be a problem. Also, any suggestions on how to get power for the camera?

under the dash you can grab power, ground you can self tap a screw to the sheet metal

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my truck didn't come with the Nav so it didn't have back up camera. I purchased a factory back up camera off eBay for $40. Purchased a 12v to 5v converter from a member here (was an extra that he got it off eBay)

Factory camera
View attachment 128128

I cut off the factory plug. There were 4 wires. Red, Black, Yellow, and White.

Red = 5 volt
Black = Ground
Yellow = Positive (inside RCA) video output
White = Negative (outside RCA) video output

Wired up the 12v to 5v converter as the sticker shows, and soldered a male RCA end to the yellow and white.

View attachment 128129

I kinda went with these instructions as to dremel the rear applique

Adding a back-up camera

Outside like OEM...
View attachment 128130

View attachment 128131

and inside when I go in to reverse, or I can hit the camera button on the screen and the camera will stay on indefinitely.

View attachment 128132

Wow cool!! that is exactly what I was looking for.. great write up!!

Ron

OP
OP
NathanJax

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On ebay I also saw the ones that have the rear glass button AND/OR the camera. so there are several ones?

Ron

no idea. I thought they all came with the rear glass button so its just the option to add camera

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Chuck_Finley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am about to mount an aftermarket cam in the same location that just needs a single 1/2” hole for a bolt, can I just drill through my factory applique?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts