Added Dynamat - Got a noticeably quieter ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shundal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used RAAMmat Bxt II deadoner along with their Ensolite foam and they really made a difference on the doors. I only did the doors and rear tailgate/floor. I never did the rest of the floor because I was too lazy to remove the seats. But now that I know you can get a good improvements without having to remove the seats I'll have to finish the setup. The front drivers floor bothers me the most.

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look up:

Frost King - Duct Insulation
Self Adhesive Foil and Foam

http://www.lowes.com/pd_28929-1410-FV516_0__?productId=1081449

077578023335.jpg

Do a Google search and see what others are saying about it compared to the expensive Dynamat stuff

:Handshake:

Like I said earlier............ I have used 10, maybe more, rolls of this stuff.

Its is a grey foam lined with a nice thick foil on top.

A few years ago, the glue was VERY WEAK. It would not stay put....... forget using it in a car, it would not even stick to itself or a duct.

So I came up with using the 3M spray tack adhesive to stick it on. It did well then.

Recently, like a month ago, I bought this again. The adhesive is VERY nice and strong now. However, if you pull it to reposition it, the adhesive grip suffers.......... of course.

Since this stuff is a foam type material, I do have concerns of it holding / absorbing water.

Also, although this stuff works REALLY well, it does not seem to have the same sound deadening IMO as the intended products. (Dynamat)

I did my old Ford Excursion solely with this stuff years ago, it held well.

Since then however I have come up with a new, different way to apply this stuff.

Today I use the Duct Foam FIRST.

I cut it into smaller strips (size contingent on application). Then COVER the Frost King with a larger sheet (one piece) of B-Quiet Ultimate.

This stuff here.

http://www.b-quiet.com/ultimate.html

The result 2X the sound deadening power, with less material used.

Also, water absorption is NO LONGER a issue, as the B-Quiet covers the foam underneath it.

ON A SIDE NOTE:

I use Frost King on areas, that may require fututre service........

Access Holes, Window Motors, Around SRS sensors, etc.

You don't want to put B-Quiet, or Dynamat on those places. IMO

When you go to pull a window regulator, you will have a GOOEY MESS to remove first.

picture.jpg

My advices is use Frost King in these places as it is very removable later on. Cover this with B-Quiet and or Dynamat.

Think of BACON STRIPS. Frost King

Covered up with Bread...... B-Quiet.

The above is MY OPINION for the most part, It is what worked for me over the years, as I have done a few vehicles like this now.

Last edited:

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when I put the peal and seal on, I only put it on the outside skins of the doors, And I put it on the inner rear fenders of the rear quarters. It did not smell at all, of course there is very little of the tar exposed to the air, only the edges.

John

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True, PDR is going to be more difficult that is for sure.

iCalvin

Reaction score
Great job on the install, to people looking to sound deadening material I recommended contacting Don at Sounddeadenershowdown. Really knowledgable about vibration and sound deadening. Dynomat, second skin, and whatnot are more for resonance dampening while materials like MLV or Thinsulate is what is going to actually deaden road noise. I personally dealt with Don and he is a great person looking to helping people out than making money. He told me specifically to not use to much "sound" deadener as it isn't quite needed and a waste of money and sold me just enough to cover the ideal percentage per a given area. My doors and roof are mad solid but obviously I didn't notice a change in road noise, just a really vibration free cabin besides loose items like coins rattling around. I do believe its a mentality effect that you think your cabin is quieter since you want to mentality justify the hundreds spent in resonance dampening material.

minytrker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 65lbs of dynamat extreme in my g8 and it made a huge difference. Took everything out of the car except the center dash and covered it. It's night and day quieter than before and with the big system I have zero rattles or vibrations.
I am about to start doing my tahoe, even though I have the same system as in my g8 I won't be going as extreme with dynamat. I'm hoping once the doors are done my components in the tahoe sound as good as my g8.