Add Headrest Screens to 2016 Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IamZ

Reaction score
I wanted to add some screens behind the driver and passenger front seats. With the flip down screen in the middle of the car, I have no visibility out my rear view mirror. Any way I can do this while tapping into the video thats playing in the flip down screens?

RThomasII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to add some screens behind the driver and passenger front seats. With the flip down screen in the middle of the car, I have no visibility out my rear view mirror. Any way I can do this while tapping into the video thats playing in the flip down screens?

It would seem, at least generically speaking, that you could accomplish something like you're wanting to do if the overhead OEM video player has a video-out option available on the unit. If it does I would think you could input that signal into another source. i.e. headrest monitors. The real question then becomes "Will the OEM overhead unit actually play a video while the monitor is in the folded/stored position?"

If it were me and I was trying to figure out a setup similar to what you're suggesting I would just take my truck to a reputable car audio shop (not Best Buy) and explain what I want to have done. In my previous truck, a Lincoln Navigator, I actually purchased the truck without the OEM navigation and video player. I went the custom route instead with a system centered around a Kenwood head unit with garmin navi and headrest monitors installed in the 2nd and 3rd row headrests. Much better system in every aspect over OEM imho and I actually saved money over the OEM options. I really like the GM audio system (for the most part) so if you're like me maybe just talk to them about tying your factory/OEM system in with some custom additions.

In my current Tahoe I have a headrest setup that looks similar to the setup in the link Kpwweb posted. This was a dealer installed option that to be honest I didn't pay much attention to at the time of purchase since video was not important to me. My only kid is 14 years old and she get's far more usage out of the onboard wi-fi. In fact we've never used the headrest system so I can't speak to the quality of the unit. I want to say I posted a few comments/questions about the headrest system back in 2016 when I 1st got the Tahoe and joined this forum. If I recall, I was disappointed in the lack of features and flexibility of what was ultimately a $2000 dealer installed option.

Good luck in whatever direction you decide to go and sorry for the long post......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kentf3