AC compressor no longer works 2012 Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

larryl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello I hope someone has run into this problem before and I can learn from that. We have a 2012 Yukon about 70K miles. Just recently the AC stopped working and it is in the 90's... When we push the AC button it blinks 3 times but wont turn on or cool. I noticed the AC compressor wasn't turning on or was at the least turning on for just a second or three and then 10-15 seconds later it would switch on again for the same second or three. After a little research I tried the following. 1. Disconnected the battery for a couple minutes. That seemed to fix it for a few minutes because when tried again compressor stayed on for a couple minutes and it seemed to start to cool but then it stopped and I was back to square one. 2. I tried resetting the outside air temp switch by pushing AC and recirculate button for 15 seconds. That did not work. 3. I removed and reinserted (not replaced) the compressor relay in the fuse box. Did not fix anything 4. Figuring the Freon must be low I bought a ProAC refill kit and connected it. Once connected the gauge read on the high side not low side ( I had not yet added Freon) There are 3 sections on the gauge a low range an optimal range and an over charged range. Without putting any Freon in it was reading in the mid to high section of the over charged range and as the compressor was cycling on / off the gauge would drop just a little but stay within over charge section.. I choose to add about 1/4 of can just to see if anything would change. It did not...

I figured this was going to require a higher level of expertise, So off to local shop it went. Lets not get into weather they are qualified or not. AT this point other than dealer anyone would just have been a shot in the dark.

They called back saying they pulled error codes and the problem is this relay and that switch (cant tell you exactly what they said because they spoke to my wife) and they will replace these things and it would be ready late afternoon. I contacted them and they said the things they installed didnt seem to fix it and they are still looking into the problem..

My fear now is we replace one thing at a time until something changes. I dont want to do that..

Given my lengthy explanation here I am wondering if anyone has been down this road before and might be able to point me in the right direction to fix this. Thank you

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
1st off, those gauges on the cans are junk. You could get a decent set from harbor freight.
The thing is about ac is that you don't know how much is actually is in the system. Adding more without knowing increases the likelyness of overcharging. I hope that the 1st thing the shop did was evac the system entirely then refill to the correct amount before chasing any relay or electrical concerns.

OP
OP
L

larryl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes let me add the shop did tell us they were of course going to evac and refill system as part of the repair...

Blk11yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My issue is the compressor will not turn on. I have no blinking ac light it just does not turn on unless I run straight 12v to the compressor. I'm starting to think it's a high pressure sensor but I can't see in on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak