ABS light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

Johnb21

Reaction score
jack up the wheel that the t app said was reading off, leave the lugs tight. check it for play, 12-6, watch the rotor to move at the caliper/pads. if you feel some play that hub is likely bad.

best to get it scanned with a real abs scanner to be 100% sure, vs tossing money at it. could be a broken wire, aka simple fix, so have a look around at the hub wires and plugs.

Will do. Thanks for the idea. I just had the truck inspected yesterday and they failed me for play in the left front wheel. I replaced the hub about 6 months ago with a Timken....so maybe it is a ball joint or tie rod. Will have time to assess this weekend. Although, I haven't noticed any change in driveability. No clunks, tracks straight and the toe seems fine...we'll see.

H8 PVMT

Reaction score
yes. the sensor is part of the front hubs, it scans a ring with teeth on it, once the hub has play the sensor no longer reads right.

or the sensor in the hub can just go bad.

the hubs are not serviceable. you would need to replace it either way.

why scanning it is best, unless you find play in the hub, then you at least know that hub is bad.

I'm running into a brick wall - the ABS and Brake light are on and it's driving me crazy. I've checked the ground to the frame, I've replaced the ABS Module, I've replaced the sensors at the wheel. When I search there isn't much out there other than what I just stated. So, maybe I'll jack it up and check the hub for play. I even tried to pull the ABS fuse in hopes that the lights would go off and I'll just drive w/o ABS but nope, the fracking lights stay on... damn it all.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you pull the fuse the abs light will for sure come on and stay on. how my regal is, no fuse, abs light 24/7.

like i said its always best to get it scanned. id hit a few local shops, ask if they can read abs codes. some can, some dont. and most will charge you something for the scan if they are not fixing it.

Musicars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had those symptoms on other cars. Both times it was a front wheel ABS harness. The front ones are rocked back and forth each time you turn the wheel left and right. Eventually the the insulation on the wire breaks so when it gets wet it shorts and trips a code. On my Silhouette AWD van it would turn off the AWD when the ABS became disabled. It really was a pain during the slushy, slippery, weather in Minnesota. It always went out then. In my case Advance Auto in my area had a scanner that would read which wheel was causing the problem. A lot of scanners won't read ABS codes. I was able to see the broken insulation on the wire down near the sensor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh

Latest posts