ABS light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnb21

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone might be able to help me out here...
My ABS dash light is on. I have run TorquePro to see if there are any codes and nothing registers. The light is off when 1st get into the truck, and then after about 30ft of travel the light goes on. Since I don't have any codes, I did open up the TorqueScan button to observe realtime info for all 4 ABS sensors. All 4 wheels are registering wheel speed. For the heck of it, I cleaned up the two grounds which attach to the frame (location under the drivers seat), but that didn't help. I need to get the truck inspected (Massachusetts) this month and have just a handful of days left to resolve. I appreciate the help!

Ryan Buck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone might be able to help me out here...
My ABS dash light is on. I have run TorquePro to see if there are any codes and nothing registers. The light is off when 1st get into the truck, and then after about 30ft of travel the light goes on. Since I don't have any codes, I did open up the TorqueScan button to observe realtime info for all 4 ABS sensors. All 4 wheels are registering wheel speed. For the heck of it, I cleaned up the two grounds which attach to the frame (location under the drivers seat), but that didn't help. I need to get the truck inspected (Massachusetts) this month and have just a handful of days left to resolve. I appreciate the help!
Mine was always on to, the abs module went bad on me and the abs would kick on all the time especially off road with 35s on it. So when i switched to the Escalade gauge cluster, as I was installing the new led bulbs I peeled back the face plate over ABS , and also the BRAKE dummy lights and stuck my needle nose pliers down in there and popped the light bulbs so they will never show up again haha just like a redneck

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Torque does not read abs codes. Need a different scanner. Most Auto parts store will read the code for free. Since you live in the Northeast, there tends to be a lot of Rust and crap that that collects at /around the sensor itself. That's probably the easiest culprit for you. You'll need to get the code read to know which wheel is affected then you can clean around sensor and check the connectors. Even though it's reading speed on Torque Pro, perhaps one is just slightly off..

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if a abs code reader does not show any stored data then it could be the ABS module it's self, what happens is over the years of getting rattled over the road the solder inside get loose in a few places and then anytime you hit a bump it looses the connection and makes it throw a code, then when you shut the truck off and restart it has the connection again so it thinks everything is ok until it hits a bump again. they can be repaired for a reasonable cost by many places online or if you feel skilled enough you can do the repair yourself, it's not difficult but it is tedious. the Stealer price is astronomical.

OP
OP
J

Johnb21

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight guys! Since TorqueScan was reading the wheel speed, I was thinking that maybe one was slightly off. I don't know what the tolerance should be. I will get a scanner and see if I can pull a code. One other data point to this story is that the light came on after a couple days of rain. Once it dried out the ABS light did not come back for a few days. Then it rained again and it came back on. Well, things dried out again, but the ABS light kicks on everytime I get in the truck and roll about 30ft. If it is an issue with the ABS module, might anyone be able to suggest someone who rebuilds them (fixes the solder issue)? In the meantime, I will look up on youtube to see how challenging the repair might be. Thanks again.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as mentioned torque does not work for abs. the abs light will kick on even if it sees an intermittent issue or a small bump in the reading. it can be a safety issue if there is a wheel speed sensor issue and the system stays operating. so it will usually just shut the system off and show the abs service light until the issue is corrected or it doesn't see the problem at its next self diagnostic cycle. as your problem started during a heavy rain i would lean towards a wheel sensor or a wire from the sensor itself. a good scanner could even direct you to the specific wheel its seeing a problem at. atleast i know a snap on solus/edge or whatever my buddy has at his shop can.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jack up the wheel that the t app said was reading off, leave the lugs tight. check it for play, 12-6, watch the rotor to move at the caliper/pads. if you feel some play that hub is likely bad.

best to get it scanned with a real abs scanner to be 100% sure, vs tossing money at it. could be a broken wire, aka simple fix, so have a look around at the hub wires and plugs.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya it's def best to confirm the problem with a scan or live data reading when it happens before tossing any money at it. otherwise your just playing wack a mole

H8 PVMT

Reaction score
jack up the wheel that the t app said was reading off, leave the lugs tight. check it for play, 12-6, watch the rotor to move at the caliper/pads. if you feel some play that hub is likely bad.

Interesting, if the sensor is okay but the hub is bad it’ll register the light on the dash?

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes. the sensor is part of the front hubs, it scans a ring with teeth on it, once the hub has play the sensor no longer reads right.

or the sensor in the hub can just go bad.

the hubs are not serviceable. you would need to replace it either way.

why scanning it is best, unless you find play in the hub, then you at least know that hub is bad.