ABS issue...too late to repair?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A while ago my '97 Tahoe started "pumping" the breaks on a slow-sleep stop, like pulling into a parking spot, a red light, or even my garage. I had someone look at it and they told me it was the ECBM. At the time, they wanted about 3K to repair it and so I pulled the fuse for the ABS and went about my way. After all, I learned to drive before ABS anyway.

Now I'm thinking I might actually want to repair it because I'm considering letting my daughter drive it. So, two questions:
1) Does it really sound like that's the issue?
2) If it is, GM has discontinued the part (12476002). Is there a replacement? Is it the same as or will the Kelsey-Hayes 310 ABS Module work?

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a TSB issued for low-speed ABS activation, sometimes the wheel sensors can get dirty...

55A87A55-490B-423E-9AB9-74D35FAB5B95_zps0ws2lqmw.png

41C0CF63-5CB1-4370-AE94-B5EE98B00458_zpszkjukpwj.png

$3000 for a new brake control module is obscene. I'd try a salvage yard first. I replaced mine on my 98 a few years ago, think it was around $50 for the complete assembly: the computer (Kelsey Hayes, #2 in diagram below) the combination valve (#12) and the modulator valve (#4).

BA7365A7-4C15-428D-BC82-10D404E0862F_zps8ddtkv6m.gif

I'd avoid breaking it all apart as there are some plastic line fittings that would need to be replaced if the combination valve is separated from the modulator valve.

Once reassembled, you'll need a good scanner to activate the automated ABS bleed procedure. Follow that with a regular bleed at the four corners. I had a shop do the automated bleed since I didn't have a scan tool. Took about five minutes.

Edit: one more thing, when I redid mine I couldn't get fluid to the rear circuit. On the side of the combination valve, there is a black rubber cap. If you take that off, there's a pin that extends when the brake pedal is depressed. Hold that pin down while someone pumps the brake pedal. That, in my case, reset the combination valve to open up the rear brake circuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep