About to buy 2010 Yukon XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jackD

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
im about to buy a 2010 Yukon XL that had 80k miles. It’s in great condition and very clean inside and out and has the service records showing proper servicing.

I’ve read a ton on this forum about typical car gremlins some of the Yukons have such as oil consumption and motor mounts, dash, etc

Is there any practical way for me to check if the engine is consuming oil?

Motor mounts are good on this truck and it drives very straight with no shakes or vibrations. I don’t see any oil leaks from underneath or on the ground.

Any tips before I sign away?

I’m paying 17100 at a dealer for it.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it were me I would have a good independent mechanic put it on the rack and check it all out just to be sure that I did not miss anything..The price seems right for 80K miles.. Just IMHO

It is nice you have the service records.

calif phil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it looks and runs great I say buy it. Seems like a good deal to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming it's not a Denali, my personal opinion is that I wouldn't buy it. AFM. Google it.

If it's a Denali, it has the 6.2 with no AFM. Then I'd say full steam ahead.

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The main issues with these are AFM related issues (oil consumption etc.) and cracking dash. The rest is just what ever else you’d have on any other vehicles.

There’s no way to test oil consumption during your normal test drive, so you just have to wing it. GM redesigned the valve cover for 2010 to help on the oil consumption issue, so I wouldn’t worry too much about that.

And as long as you disable the AFM asap after buying it, you shouldn’t have too much to worry about.

Cracked is dash is another thing, though. Regardless of how well you try to preserve it, it will most likely crack eventually. Depending a bit on the climate you’re in, of course.

My wife’s newly acquired 2010 has perfect dash so far, but I’m not holding my breath for itto survive like that the next 3-4 years she’ll be driving it.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great price for a 2010 XL with low miles.

If she’s clean & straight and drives well, I’d buy it on the spot.

OP
OP
J

jackD

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought it today. I also got four new tires as they met inspection but not far from being done.

I’m pretty happy with it as it drives straight as an arrow and is very clean.

It also has brand new front brakes from the dealer.

OP
OP
J

jackD

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What is the AFM issue and does the 2010 not have the issue?

I already own it and what I’ve read it make sure I use the right oil.

OP
OP
J

jackD

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also I bought a 60 months 100k Janus extended coverage plan with it as I’m planning to keep it

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
60mo/100K warranty? Damn! That must've been expensive. Hope it's worth it if/when something happens.

Plenty of threads all over the internet regarding 07+ GM truck/SUV AFM (Active Fuel Management) issues. Just get a Range device or a DiabloSport tuner to disable it. Depending what your extended warranty says about tuning.

If the warranty covers engine related issues, then just drive it like you stole it and have them fix it if something happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts