A/V System Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Weird....the pics were showing before, I saw all of them!

johnsgonewild

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hello,

You have done an outstanding job there! it really is top notch! I have seen many professional installs that did not give anywhere near the attention to detail that you have done here! IN ONE WORD... EXCELLENT!

i am just now about to start on my upgrade. I will be going pretty much all out as you have done here.... I was hoping that maybe you could tell me approximately how many SQ feet of the B-quiet mat you used per door panel?

and I was also wondering if you had any problem with the thickness of it causing any problems when re-attaching the panels? I have never worked with it before and I think i read that it was only 1.6mm thick... is this accurate?

thanks,

John

scottrick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone know how to retain the stock rear view camera with an aftermarket head unit??

blaqout

King Yukon
Reaction score
Man that install is awesome! I know you said you do not do it for a living, but I bet you could make some good money doing it on the side, very professional and impressive! Nice job and thanks for the detailed write up!!!

olemiss

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Excellent write up! Now I am itching to do an install in mine.....

lakaw

Reaction score
DofD,
I read your RAP module thread and am very interested in building one, but had a couple of questions on it's install. First off the module only has two outputs. Are you splitting those to turn all your equipment on (2 amps, 360 & video controller)? Can you detail those connections as I'm a little confused. Your amps surely have +12v directly from the battery, and I'm also assuming you have a common ground for your amps. So are you using the +12v and grounds from the RAP for your 360 and video controller, while using the +12v RAP accessories split to turn on all of you equipment?

Also, have you had any recent brainstorms in possibly shrinking the physical size of the module?

I just had an install completed last week and the installer has the equipment wired to the ignition accessory. I can turn my stock head unit off and the amp stays on. I had them install the JL signal summer and cleansweep (so I can keep the stock head unit). I get a horrible hiss when the HU volume is low, I need to play with the gain on the cleansweep.

TIA

edmcgee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
lakaw,

Did you ever resolve your hiss with the cleansweep at low h/u volumes?? I am planning an install using the factory nav with the jl ssi and cleansweep and I'm a bit worried. I know that using the cleansweep volume control will keep the hiss from happening but I really want to keep my steering wheel control...

Thanks!!

lakaw

Reaction score
I did. The installer simple left the amp gains at the calibrated level, which for the JL amp happens to be max gain. I simply reduced the gains and the hiss was gone along with a very loud blinker. I still need to Dynamat the front console (for the Stealthbox) and I think I'm going to go ahead and Dynamat all four doors. I hate rattles and my horrible installer actually suggested I not use Dynamat. All my door speakers rattle...

edmcgee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick followup lakaw... This is good news. Bummer on the rattles. I usually cut out a piece of mdf that will fit and mount to the factory speaker location, then make the cut-out for the aftermarket speaker in the mdf. I also will carpet the new piece of mdf with some basic grey box carpet and then mount it to an already Dynamatted door. This usually will prevent rattles for years... Good luck and I appreciate the info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak