A Sticky for New PPV/SSV Owners To Re-Civilianize Our Tahoes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
jmm121783

jmm121783

Searching for the next sunset...
Reaction score
very nice, hard to find RPO list, I need to copy my glove box RPO build sheet into an excel or something and decode everything....I did a TON of decoding (including my truck before buying) on all sorts of trucks and they all start to bleed together but I def have both the rear door inoperable by rear passengers and rear window inoperable by rear passengers.

Big thing here, reason again why I started this....I just had to plug my drivers side, passenger door power lock harness in and I could finally LOCK the doors, literally I cannot lock them in any fashion (from the outside) except for the drivers side now. But the passenger harness was plugged in and the near the front seats nor the key fob can lock the rear passenger side door. Really lame, I hear/feel the motor in the door unlocking and locking it, at least trying, but it will not lock. There is no way to lock it from the inside. The ONLY way to lock the rear doors was this manual cable pull level I can take a picture of, literally just pull out like the choke on an old truck, basically disable the rear doors assembly period. I just plugged the drivers side rear door, no problem, locks with keyfob and from front switches...no manual locks, door handles move but obviously aren't attached to anything due to the lack of weight when you pull on it.

So still trying to get my right rear door be lockable, still trying to get both rear door's speakers working, really wanting autostart and finally pulling my steering wheel to put he leather w/ audio buttons on tomorrow. Hope my clear coat spray comes in tomorrow so I can install my new PPVs w/ chrome centers and newer Goodyear Wrangers RSA+ on them

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
very nice, hard to find RPO list, I need to copy my glove box RPO build sheet into an excel or something and decode everything....I did a TON of decoding (including my truck before buying) on all sorts of trucks and they all start to bleed together but I def have both the rear door inoperable by rear passengers and rear window inoperable by rear passengers.

Big thing here, reason again why I started this....I just had to plug my drivers side, passenger door power lock harness in and I could finally LOCK the doors, literally I cannot lock them in any fashion (from the outside) except for the drivers side now. But the passenger harness was plugged in and the near the front seats nor the key fob can lock the rear passenger side door. Really lame, I hear/feel the motor in the door unlocking and locking it, at least trying, but it will not lock. There is no way to lock it from the inside. The ONLY way to lock the rear doors was this manual cable pull level I can take a picture of, literally just pull out like the choke on an old truck, basically disable the rear doors assembly period. I just plugged the drivers side rear door, no problem, locks with keyfob and from front switches...no manual locks, door handles move but obviously aren't attached to anything due to the lack of weight when you pull on it.

So still trying to get my right rear door be lockable, still trying to get both rear door's speakers working, really wanting autostart and finally pulling my steering wheel to put he leather w/ audio buttons on tomorrow. Hope my clear coat spray comes in tomorrow so I can install my new PPVs w/ chrome centers and newer Goodyear Wrangers RSA+ on them

I used this list; http://d354nuoz4t18d4.cloudfront.ne...89e6/images/custom/rpoCodes.pdf?cb=1497380755

I don't know if it is complete, there were 2-3 things I didn't see on there.

The doors and power windows thing, except for the child locks, there were no surprises, nothing disconnected and nothing power disabled.

I heard that LE vehicles have the rear, inside door latch disabled and also the window switches. I don't seem to have that issue.

Surprisingly, most of those things, electrical, locking mechanisms etc, in my case seem to be like a regular Tahoe....

MidwestMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spent forever on the RPO codes. Used multiple sources to fill in as much information as I could and then used and Excel sheet to do lookups on the various sheets.

Then found out GM is on this forum, simply send them your VIN and they will provide you a complete build list for you vehicle.

OP
OP
jmm121783

jmm121783

Searching for the next sunset...
Reaction score
I used this list; http://d354nuoz4t18d4.cloudfront.ne...89e6/images/custom/rpoCodes.pdf?cb=1497380755

I don't know if it is complete, there were 2-3 things I didn't see on there.

The doors and power windows thing, except for the child locks, there were no surprises, nothing disconnected and nothing power disabled.

I heard that LE vehicles have the rear, inside door latch disabled and also the window switches. I don't seem to have that issue.

Surprisingly, most of those things, electrical, locking mechanisms etc, in my case seem to be like a regular Tahoe....

Ok so my truck the buttons felt broken, so I took them apart and they just flipped the rubber boot upside down (thats what made the switch feel broken) and put a piece of electrical tape over the pcb. Now unless I can see another persons switch and I'm missing a piece, once put back together and cleaned up the buttons "felt good" but they still didn't function, windows roll down from drivers door only.

I have a sticker inside my dash glove box that I'll go get a pic of, basically says "This car has had aftermarket LE installations in it and should only be serviced by XYZ and here is the number"

I spent forever on the RPO codes. Used multiple sources to fill in as much information as I could and then used and Excel sheet to do lookups on the various sheets.

Then found out GM is on this forum, simply send them your VIN and they will provide you a complete build list for you vehicle.

Do we have a user name I could message? Also we can add that at the top of this sticky = " GM Forum Account for Build Sheets/VIN Decoding" with complied RPOs and descriptions to prevent stupid, simple questions from having to be emailed or PMed.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so my truck the buttons felt broken, so I took them apart and they just flipped the rubber boot upside down (thats what made the switch feel broken) and put a piece of electrical tape over the pcb. Now unless I can see another persons switch and I'm missing a piece, once put back together and cleaned up the buttons "felt good" but they still didn't function, windows roll down from drivers door only.

I have a sticker inside my dash glove box that I'll go get a pic of, basically says "This car has had aftermarket LE installations in it and should only be serviced by XYZ and here is the number"

Do we have a user name I could message? Also we can add that at the top of this sticky = " GM Forum Account for Build Sheets/VIN Decoding" with complied RPOs and descriptions to prevent stupid, simple questions from having to be emailed or PMed.

You could take a switch out and test for continuity, I have seen them on Ebay too. (also wonder, if they can be programmed to be off.)

Kwilson1671

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
*****PLEASE FEEL FREE TO MSG OR POST ADD-ON'S TO THIS LIST, ANY LINKS OR INFORMATION IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!! *****

I think we should have a sticky at the top of the PPV and SSV forums, with the basics about getting our trucks back to a more "civilized" form. We can also have a breakdown of the differences between civilian tahoes and PPV and SSV + other Fleet optioned vehicles.

The goal would be a comprehensive list of the basic stuff we all (or most of us) encounter when we bring our Government Owned Tahoes home with us for the first time.

Some topics or examples are:

- Rear Door Locks - Getting them to lock/unlock and have the ability to auto lock or unlock via Key fob and front passengers buttons

- Basic how to on all essential maintence to do when first getting the 'Hoe home like liquid; Oil, Coolant, Steering fluid, Brake fluid, Differential fluids, Transfer Case

- How to Make Rear Door Interior Door Handles Functional

- Radio swap for USB+BLUETOOTH+6 disc (XM undelete?)

- How to get 2nd row speakers working (mine are plugged in at the speaker but must be disconnected somehow between the B Pillar and the head unit as they do not function, makes me wonder if adding the small tweeter speakers on the upper rear C pillars would be plug N play since the rear passenger door speakers don't work and are plugged in )

- How to make electronic rear windows workable by the rear passengers (mine were disconnected, and each rear switch was taped over on the actual PCB board where the switch makes contact, but when switches were fixed and felt "right" the windows still only roll down from Driver's control, this leads me to believe the entire harness for each rear door must be disconnected because the rear speakers also don't work)

- Center Consoles with all the different options

- How to Add DIC button

- How to Add a Self Dimming and other features rear view mirror

- Floormat & cargo area options + model numbers

- How to remove spotlight and make civilainized

- How to swap steering wheels with radio controls

- How to swap front cloth seats for better options

I also know there are a bunch of mods that are much more than just simple plug N play mods such as:

- Folding+Heated+Signal Side Mirrors
- Rearview mirror with LCD built-in license plate camera
- Front Heated Seats, Rear Captains Chairs, Third Row Seating?
- Adjustable Gas Pedal ?
- Adding Carpeted floor & Replacing/Adding vinyl flooring
- Adding stock 8 speaker system components + aftermarket audio
- Adding rear climate controls on headliner (manual and automation)
- Adding rear heated seats
- Adding rear radio functions
- Adding civilian center consoles

I know I'm forgetting a bunch of stuff but do you guys think this is a worthy endevour? As a newbie myself (less then a month owning) I'll tell you I could really use a thread like this, to this day! A lot is info I don't have an need to learn/find and other stuff I'd be willing to write up.

Please help lol
Joe, if you can the up fitter book it will tell you or download, it will explain a lot of the wiring.
Rear door locks are usually unhooked by taking the rod out or just disconnecting the rod, sometimes you will find the buttons and sometimes you have to order the little pieces of plastic, also the the door candle cable is usually disconnected , just have to hook it back up to the door handle. Rear windows just need new switches, the switches that are in there are missing components to let the rear passengers use them. As far as the speakers in the rear, if they are hooked up the you should check the wiring out under the dash by the floor, they may have been used for a radio and never hooked buck up.
The DIC can be added, I did mine, just cut the hole to hole the switches and plug it in, radio controls can be added to the wheel or entire wheel can be replaced with them. Fog lights you need the entire mount and light, need to see if wire is available and would need new light switch. Mirrors you will have to check the plugs that are there to see if they will match up with signal,folding mirrors. Dimming mirror will only work to dim and compass, temp gauge to work is a programming thing along with DRLs and a few other things.
I'm not sure on a rear camera but you would need wiring harnesses for rear climate and media. Center consoles can be added but you would need the harness for that also. A third row can be added, the bolt hookups are under the vinyl matting, and to add carpet the right way all seats need to be removed.
To be truthful, you saved a lot of money buying one, just the basics but by the time you add everything and get things programmed by the dealer to work it's going to cost just as much. You should have spent the extra and waited and looked for what you wanted in a Tahoe. One last thing is the spotlights, they make kits so when removed the cover the holes, just remember to seal really good. Check your light housings, if they have holes in them from hideaways, make sure they are all sealed as well. Hope this helps a bit. Also look inside the passenger side wheelwell behind the headlight, there may be a headlight flasher in there also. I'm still adding to mine, looking for the headlight flasher and push bar. Also from MI now in NC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu