A/C recharge 99 yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skychair

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have looked it up, but..... what I found was for a 1999 Yukon 5.7 Vortec with rear air it requires 2.7 lbs or 4 lbs of R134A for a recharge.
That's quite a range, any one have first hand experience???
I think the 2.7 lbs is way off..............?
Any assist appreciated, Ron

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are the specs, RPO code C69 uses the larger 4.0-lb charge. Check the glove box label, but I'm pretty sure that is rear air.

AB37E46B-1719-47A0-B734-95A4EF108D57_zpsi2f8rrcl.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
east302 is correct, 4.0 lb. charge, do yourself a favor and have a reputable shop with a recovery machine do the recharge. It will evacuate and put the proper amount back in the system without starting the engine. One thread I mentioned sometime ago was to be sure and check the HIGH/LOW fittings on top of compressor for any sign of residue (big cause for leaks) and your Freon had to go somewhere. If so, the shrader valves (2) are inexpensive and easy to change just like a valve stem in a tire. JMHO and good luck.
David g............:)

OP
OP
S

skychair

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
east302 is correct, 4.0 lb. charge, do yourself a favor and have a reputable shop with a recovery machine do the recharge. It will evacuate and put the proper amount back in the system without starting the engine. One thread I mentioned sometime ago was to be sure and check the HIGH/LOW fittings on top of compressor for any sign of residue (big cause for leaks) and your Freon had to go somewhere. If so, the shrader valves (2) are inexpensive and easy to change just like a valve stem in a tire. JMHO and good luck.
David g............:)

OP
OP
S

skychair

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I wish to thank east302, and Red Tahoe LS for responding about the R134A capacity problem.
I thought it was 4 lbs, thanks for the info.

Last June 21 2016, I ordered AC DELCO 15-5612 Orifice tube, 15022214A compressor, and a 15-1784 accumulator
All installed at local shop that does A/C work, oil changes, tires etc.
I could not convince the the guy that did the recharge, that 4 lbs were required, which is why I asked the question again just to see if I was right or wrong.

This is how my A/C works now.
1st drive in the morning it takes 4 to 6 miles to begin to cool(@88 degrees ambient), once it does it gets a cold 38 F on a cheap thermometer.
I can live with that ( sorta), when I cut the engine off for a 1/2 hour or, so it takes 2 to 3 miles to get cold again.

When I turn the engine on, A/C off, fans off, all is good.
If I turn the fans on (heat) I hear only the 17 year old fans running, very acceptable at position 1 and 2, louder the rest of the settings, but normal, no other associated noises.

Turn on the A/C a short pause then a bearing type noise is very audible in the driver seat.
Turn the fans off... that separate noise is still there? turn the A/C off that separate noise goes away.
I have been told that it is the compressor, I suspected the clutch bearing, but......
Is there any fan or door under the dash (inside) that is activated when the A/C is cut on????
This is driving me crazy.
Again any assist appreciated.
Ron

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would have three motor actuated dampers in the front. One for recirculation (above the blower) one for temperature (kind of behind the cigarette lighter) and one for floor-dash-defrost which is to the right of the gas pedal.

Those would all be independent of the compressor coming on or off, save the defrost setting which engages the compressor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
15022214A compressor
I have been told that it is the compressorI

could not convince the the guy that did the recharge, that 4 lbs were required

From what I'm seeing from your above post, you need to find an AC shop, not a tire/oil change station. I would also think if he used a recycling, he does not know how to use it.
My Tahoe, when I start in the garage and let it run a couple of minutes, when I turn on the AC, it's COLD. As for temperature settings on MAX, it will cool 35 to 38 degrees, if I put the selector on the line where re/blue section, it will constantly cool @ 40 degrees regardless of ambient temp.
David g.

OP
OP
S

skychair

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
15022214A compressor
I have been told that it is the compressorI

could not convince the the guy that did the recharge, that 4 lbs were required

From what I'm seeing from your above post, you need to find an AC shop, not a tire/oil change station. I would also think if he used a recycling, he does not know how to use it.
My Tahoe, when I start in the garage and let it run a couple of minutes, when I turn on the AC, it's COLD. As for temperature settings on MAX, it will cool 35 to 38 degrees, if I put the selector on the line where re/blue section, it will constantly cool @ 40 degrees regardless of ambient temp.
David g.

OP
OP
S

skychair

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My new Delphi compressor arrived from Amazon, and after reading the instructions plus gathering info from this Forum and other charts on the Net, I understand the amounts of R134A to be 64 oz (4 lb), and oil for the entire system should be 11oz as follows :
Evaporator.........3oz
Condenser..........1oz
Accumulator/Drier......2oz
total................... 6oz
This leaves 4-5oz for the compressor. (is this about right?)

Instructions with the compressor boil down to this:
Drain both the new and old compressors into separate measuring cups.
If the old compressor held < or = to 2 oz, add 2oz to the new compressor. (does this mean add 2 additional oz, or just the original 2oz?)
If the new compressor held > 2oz, add the same amount to the new compressor. ( take this to mean re-add the same amount?)

I'm replacing the compressor not because of failure, but the noise it makes as described in previous post.
After the current compressor gets cold...it's cold.
For this reason I see no need to replace the accumulator or the orifice tube, as both were new less than a year ago.
I'm assuming that I need not be concerned with the oil for these parts.
Sorry for rambling, just need all the help I can get, going up country this coming Thursday to my friend who has the necessary equipment.
Will appreciate any help/suggestions before then, just trying to be sure of what I'm doing.
Thanks again, Ron

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
get a good book on Automotive A/C get some gages , and a Vacume pump and go for it! If it isn't right you can only blame yourself. I did that Job to my 99 K3500 last year took about 3hrs not to hard you just have to look at a lot of youtube videos first. and change out the o-rings

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout