A/C intermittent operation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front a/c in my 2005 Tahoe will start blowing hot air while I am driving. The rear air still blows cold. Often, if I shut off the motor, the front will be cooling when I restart. Turning it off then back on while driving does not cause it to start cooling. Any idea what might be the cause and how to fix it?

JochenWoern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front a/c in my 2005 Tahoe will start blowing hot air while I am driving. The rear air still blows cold. Often, if I shut off the motor, the front will be cooling when I restart. Turning it off then back on while driving does not cause it to start cooling. Any idea what might be the cause and how to fix it?

I was JUST going to post a thread with EXCATLY this problem which I have experienced as well over the last couple of weeks. Does not happen all that often, maybe once or twice during the week.

Mine ALWAYS does start to cool again after the engine was shut off for a while and also does not cool if I shut it off and turn it back on while at a light.

Interested to find out what the opinions regarding this issue are.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

JochenWoern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was just going to post a thread with excatly this problem which i have experienced as well over the last couple of weeks. Does not happen all that often, maybe once or twice during the week.

Mine always does start to cool again after the engine was shut off for a while and also does not cool if i shut it off and turn it back on while at a light.

Interested to find out what the opinions regarding this issue are.

Thanks in advance!

anyone???????

gmcultr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Im having that problem in my sierra... I have it down to: intermittent ac button failure, high or low pressure switch intermittent failure.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After posting my problem, I found on other postings that this is a very common problem. There are lots of discussions about it in this forum and great instructions with photos on how to replace the actuator(s) that are causing the problem. Also look at www.sparkys-answers.com/2011/03/2004-chevrolet-silverado-changing.html for great instructions. I also discovered that if I cycle through all the air outlet options (mine's electronic) such as floor , defrost, etc., when I go back to the normal vent setting it blows cold air. This is a temporary fix, but it's working for now which helps because I don't have the 2-3 hours the postings say it will take to change the actuator.

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

Be sure to read the postings by Whiteout in this forum. He's included outstanding detailed step-by-step instructions and photos.

kaoticlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhh mine has been doing this lately...start truck in the morning no a/c for about 3 miles then miraculously it starts and works fine the rest of the day...

sent from tapatalk2 using rabbit ears and aluminum foil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n