A/C in the rear isnt working.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chads93GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
01 tahoe. 2 years ago my compressor went bad and I never got it fixed due to the cost, and not caring. Last week I blasted a deer and damaged the condensor/etc so I figured I may as well get the AC fixed since there was a charge on the bill for the cost of the ac discharge/refill/etc.

It now works, my front end looks brand new, and I have AC again, BUT..............the rear AC doesnt blow cold air like the front. Ive put it on auto, rear control, even hit those 2 buttons up front under the fan speed that have the picture of the truck with the arrow going into it, and the one with the arrow looping around inside of it.

One thing to note, a couple years ago that fan block above my head in the drivers seat, with the small grill cover, was making an awful howling all the time. I unplugged it. I assume this had something to do with the 'computer control' of the climate, so i just plugged it back in. Its not making any noise, and its spinning away. What is this damn block for anyway?

Anyway, I got hammered hard core in the ass end last year on I55 in St. Louis as i was stopped in a traffic jam, and the traffic coming up behind me didnt realize the traffic was stopped, till it was too late. When the body shop fixed my truck, they of course had to remove the rear HVAC stuff, and reinstall it. they said when they went to recharge the AC, it was blowing the freeon out of the front of the compressor, duh. I knew that it was bad.

Anyway, is there something I need to check somewhere to see why the rear AC isnt working? Is it possible they disconnected the AC line running to the back? I guess I need to pull the interior panel out to find out? Anyone know any of the answers to the questions.

OP
OP
C

Chads93GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the hard hitting tech guys. At least I know where to come when I want to know how to install HID's, remove a roof rack, throw on some 22's and lower my vehicle.

road1will

pretty pretty good
Reaction score
Thanks for the hard hitting tech guys. At least I know where to come when I want to know how to install HID's, remove a roof rack, throw on some 22's and lower my vehicle.

Chill out dude - give people more than a day to respond to you.

Or here's a better idea, instead of asking others to solve your problem for you, how about you open it up and figure it out. Then you can write all the "hard hitting tech" about it that you want.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chads93GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I will just crack the AC lines open and just start replacing actuators and components hoping that will solv e the problem. Im obviously looking for people who have ran into this problem before. If it were a drivetrain problem I wouldn't be on here, i would bei nt he garage doing. Climate control systems are a bit harder to diagnore, hence looking for someone with a tahoe/yukon/escalade/suburban who has had the rear AC stop working.

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's REALLY gonna get some guys to help you out. Sheesh

I would just chill, bump the post and see if that helps get some attention to the thread when the technical guy(s) are online.

BOSS

---------- Post added at 08:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 AM ----------

Could be your actuator? Does the heat work?

This is what I found by googlling:
http://chevroletforum.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-10976.html

BOSS

road1will

pretty pretty good
Reaction score
Yeah I will just crack the AC lines open and just start replacing actuators and components hoping that will solv e the problem. Im obviously looking for people who have ran into this problem before. If it were a drivetrain problem I wouldn't be on here, i would bei nt he garage doing. Climate control systems are a bit harder to diagnore, hence looking for someone with a tahoe/yukon/escalade/suburban who has had the rear AC stop working.

who told you to go start randomly replacing shit? Did you even read my post?

I know a bit about AC systems and could have given you some pointers about diagnosing the problem.

In the meantime, how about you go answer some other users tech questions and hit us with your oh-so hard hitting tech.

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"might be a plugged expansion valve"

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/2002-chevy-tahoe--rear-air-conditioning-vt151345.html

"might be a blown fuse"
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_would_your_rear_AC_blower_quit_working_on_a_2003_Suburban

BOSS

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 AM ----------

This is from a 2002 model but I think it still applies to the 01

"There is only one compressor. The good news is that the a/c system should be working fine if you get cold air in the front system.

For 2002, there are manual and automatic controls for the rear system. The manual system is simply a potentiometer that provides a voltage between battery and ground to the temperature door motor. Look for a wire that has rubbed against a bracket and shorted to ground.

The automatic system uses an infrared sensor to determine the temperature in the rear seating areas. This could be messed up. There should be a manual mode to allow you to determine if the control head works at all, the IR sensor is bad, or if the head is fine. Set the system to manual and try moving the temp knob. If it doesn't move, look for a shorted wire to the temp motor. Or measure the voltage at the motor to see if it changes.

Other possibilities include a stuck temp door.

Good Luck "

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/If_the_fr...the_rear_AC_blows_hot_air_what_is_the_problem

OP
OP
C

Chads93GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boss. I know the temp door isn't stuck as I pulled the rear panels off, removed the actuator, moved it by hand and started blowing hot air, then back to air temp air when I turned it back to its original position. The actuator moves back and forth when I turn the temp knobs. I'll try the fuse, and then looked into the expansion valve. Thanks.

Road: I stated, what I stated, becuase in the short life of this forum, the majority of the threads I have read here deal with rims, roof racks, head lights, tail lights, cosmetics, stereo's and other non technical related information. In other words, most of the threads deal more about how the vehicle appears, than how it performs. Step outside the box and look at how that looks to the site as a whole when the majority of the people only know how to modify appearance, but not fix the actual function and performance of the vehicle when its broke.

I came here, because I don't know much about the Tahoe's, and I have one for a work vehicle. My mechanical knowledge comes from 5.0 mustangs from the 80's and early 90's. Ask me anything you want about one of THOSE cars and I could talk your ear off on the subject for days. Ask me something on this vehicle? I simply dont know. Mainly due to having 12 5.0 mustangs in the past 12 years to tinker with, and only 1 tahoe.

Sorry if I came off like a jerk, but sense the frustration when you come to a site all about a vehicle...........and there isn't anything tech related that helps, with the search feature.

PavementPounder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i get to work I will as one of my hard hitting techs and see what they think.

---------- Post added at 01:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

don't forget this site is fairly new and we are working on getting stuff in here from forums past.

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boss. I know the temp door isn't stuck as I pulled the rear panels off, removed the actuator, moved it by hand and started blowing hot air, then back to air temp air when I turned it back to its original position. The actuator moves back and forth when I turn the temp knobs. I'll try the fuse, and then looked into the expansion valve. Thanks.

Good news is the front a/c works ;-)

Road: I stated, what I stated, becuase in the short life of this forum, the majority of the threads I have read here deal with rims, roof racks, head lights, tail lights, cosmetics, stereo's and other non technical related information. In other words, most of the threads deal more about how the vehicle appears, than how it performs. Step outside the box and look at how that looks to the site as a whole when the majority of the people only know how to modify appearance, but not fix the actual function and performance of the vehicle when its broke.

I barely knew how to modify appearance before I got here....those technical guys are here and there on this site and others, we're new so give it time and bumps...you'll get your answer.

Stick around, help us out!

I came here, because I don't know much about the Tahoe's, and I have one for a work vehicle. My mechanical knowledge comes from 5.0 mustangs from the 80's and early 90's. Ask me anything you want about one of THOSE cars and I could talk your ear off on the subject for days.

Stick around then, help us out!

Sorry if I came off like a jerk, but sense the frustration when you come to a site all about a vehicle...........and there isn't anything tech related that helps, with the search feature.

No worries man, like Forrest Gump says,
"It Happens."

BOSSMAN

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu