A/C compressor not coming on.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Dig it. I think you were supposed to make sure it stayed in the blue zone during suction on that line when compressor was engaged. red zone on low pressure side while running would be very hard ******* the high pressure side.

OP
OP
h0tr0d

h0tr0d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heh, I feel sorry for you guys still playing around in the snow. It's pretty miserable here when it does because everyone drives like madmen since they aren't used to seeing it.

The only thing left with my A/C is for me to figure out how to get the pressure to go up...it was supposed to go up to 40-50 PSI, but I couldn't get it to go past 35.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
new can with some pressure in it. Normally it is held upside down to expel vapor from can(check can instructions) and the trigger is held open only when compressor clutch is engaged so as to have the least resistance to enter system. any other way is just going nowhere.

196Hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Hoping I can tag off this thread since the issue was resolved...

Bought a 96 Hoe which the AC didn't work. Bought a can to try to charge it and found the cutoff switch was connected.

When I did connect it, the compressor engaged but made a loud clacking sound and stalled the engine.

I can pretty much assume the worst but would greatly appreciate any input I can get as I am mechanically inclined but no expert by any means.

Thank you in advance for any response,

Robert

1996 Tahoe 4WD 5.7

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
It sounds like your compressor has internal mechanical damage. Only alternative at that point is replacement of compressor, flush out debris from system, replace orifice tube and receiver dryer unit evacuate and re-oil and recharge system.

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
yikes.. atleast the vortec AC compressors are easier to get ahold of instead of the TBI ones. But yea like sunlit said..

Im sure its going to be a costly repair :/

196Hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The nightmare has come true, lol.

Appreciate your input...

Bought the Hoe as a project for $800.00 so to be expected.

So far I've:

• Re-cased the tranny
• Replaced the Fuel Pump
• Replaced the Interior Door Handles
• Replaced the Exterior Mirrors
• Replaced the Front Door Hinges
• Seafoamed everything except the Oil. Waiting til I go for the change.

Other than the AC, nothing else needs to be replaced and she runs very strong!

I think I got a deal...

Thanks again!

HFC17

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
even though this thread is six years old I'm going to try anyway because i can't figure out how to post my own question.

i have a 2005 yukon 95k miles. My a/c stopped working last week. i went through the troubleshooting process in the Haynes manual but it led to "bring to a dealer"
Ive narrowed the problem down but i am hoping someone can get me the rest of the way without visiting a dealer.
if i pull out the compressor relay in the box under the hood and jump the contacts the compressor turns on and i get cold air, so i think i can safely rule out any pressure problems.
anyone already have this problem who can save me?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos