99 Tahoe won't start - fuel gauge stuck at 3 o'clock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CSX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently took the top end of my 1999 2-door Tahoe apart to preemptively replace the intake manifold gaskets before they went bad on their own. I've put 250 problem-free miles on it since that work.

Last night, pulling onto an empty freeway, I decided to, ahem, "blow the carbon out" and stress test my work with a WOT run. I got startled by the sudden intervention of the speed limiter at 98 MPH, but cruised home another 15 miles with no issues. When I parked it, the Tahoe was at about 1/4 full as indicated on the fuel gauge.

This morning, after putting the key in the ignition, the fuel gauge pegged itself and got stuck at the 3 o'clock position (pictured below), and she refuses to start. Cranks, but wont' fire. Can't hear the fuel pump going through it's start-up cycle. I swapped a known good fuel pump relay, didn't fix the issue. Didn't have a fuel pressure gauge available but will check the pressure at the rail when I get home.

The fuel pump was replaced about three years ago with an OEM Delphi unit and only has about 20k on it since then. Everything indicates a fuel issue (no running pump, fuel gauge suddenly stuck) but I'd hard time believing an OEM pump would die that quickly. Could the activation of the speed limiter have something to do with all this since it likely cuts off fuel? Or is that purely coincidental?

Any ideas would be appreciated before I resolve to drop the tank and replace the fuel pump.

IMG_20180523_083547.jpg

OP
OP
C

CSX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, I narrowed it down...turns out its the ECM-1 fuse that keeps blowing upon key-on. I disconnected all of the circuits attached to the ECM-1 fuse, and it turns out that the fuse pops once the injector harness on the top center of the manifold is reconnected.

I did upgrade the CFI spider to MFI when I did the lower intake manifold gaskets. Has anyone ever had a MFI go bad within 250 miles?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons