99 Tahoe cranks, won’t start after it rains

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by Green LT, May 15, 2018.

1. Green LT

Green LT TYF Newbie

Name:
    Roger
    been having this condition for a couple months. Cranks and starts when dry weather but when even a short rainfall the ol girl just cranks. Pump, battery, starter are good . Mechanic said he couldn’t replicate and pressure from pump is good. Plugs, cap, rotor etc have only 10,000 miles since new also fuel filter. When I crank it gets flooded so I wait several hours then she’ll start right up. Idle is spot on, runs smooth, acceleration is good. Thoughts and input?

2. drakon543

drakon543 Full Access Member

Name:
    james
    what brand cap and rotor did you purchase? my 97 had those exact symptoms twice since i purchased it. ive tried 3 different brand cap and rotor on my Tahoe, 2 of which also included swapping the whole distributor. im kind of stubborn and no parts store around me actually carries the gm one except the dealership. pop your distributor cap off and look for excessive buildup, green splatters, or just the button has worn off already. accel cap has had the tightest fit for me so far.

bigfootchiro likes this.
  3. bigfootchiro

bigfootchiro Full Access Member

Name:
    Nathan
    Is your cap loose? Just like drakon said, this sounds like a cap/rotor condition. Did you have this issue with your old cap and rotor? If not, and if still accessible, I would swap them back temporarily and see if the problem persist. Also check your screw base for any cracks as the screws may be coming loose in the cap. These plastic distributors are known for breaking their ears off.