99 Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Ok so I set out to do the 6.0 swap but it has a higher compression ratio. I couldn't find a decent LS1/LS6 5.7 and wasn't about to travel hours to get one. So I decided to just get a Gen IV 5.3 and do some minor things to it. I found one about an hour away from me pulled from an 06 Tahoe. I went Friday and grabbed it. Has the DBW throttle body and the evap solenoid was broke along with 2 manifold studs, but that's not a problem, I have a few things up my sleeve that would have dumped that intake and TB anyway.

View attachment 83695

View attachment 83696

View attachment 83697

View attachment 83694
Oh yeah!!

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
I got ******, I think. I should have checked things better. I was under the impression that the DBW throttle bodies started in 05. So I checked engine over and everything looked complete so I loaded it and came back home. Mostly because I worked all night and was up at 3pm Thursday so I was tired and just wanted to get home to my bed. When I started looking the engine over I realized that the knock sensor wasn't on the side of the block, the cam sensor was at the rear of intake and not on timing cover, the crank sensor was black not gray so I cleaned off the serial number and there it was, it's an 03!! Strange thing is, it appears the head bolts are all the same length, I thought that is an indication of the newer block. I'll see how deep the threads are when I pull the heads. I seen the 06 Tahoe next to the engine, but I still should have investigated. I wanted the 05+ because of the rods. This sucks. To top it off it has the 862 heads. This is why I absolutely hate Craigslist a-holes. My immediate thought was, this dick may have even gave me a 4.8. Pulled a plug and stuck my scope in there and luckily it has dished pistons. The 4.8 has flat tops.

So now I know what I have and I need to do more upgrades than I wanted. Time to tear into it and send it off to machine shop. I'm gonna have it bored, honed, magnafluxed, decked, and mains line bored.

GOPR0241.JPG

GOPR0242.JPG

GOPR0243.JPG

Then I test fit my swap mount plates and mounts. I'm not using the clamshell mounts, I have something else that will be better.

GOPR0244.JPG

GOPR0245.JPG

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I got ******, I think. I should have checked things better. I was under the impression that the DBW throttle bodies started in 05. So I checked engine over and everything looked complete so I loaded it and came back home. Mostly because I worked all night and was up at 3pm Thursday so I was tired and just wanted to get home to my bed. When I started looking the engine over I realized that the knock sensor wasn't on the side of the block, the cam sensor was at the rear of intake and not on timing cover, the crank sensor was black not gray so I cleaned off the serial number and there it was, it's an 03!! Strange thing is, it appears the head bolts are all the same length, I thought that is an indication of the newer block. I'll see how deep the threads are when I pull the heads. I seen the 06 Tahoe next to the engine, but I still should have investigated. I wanted the 05+ because of the rods. This sucks. To top it off it has the 862 heads. This is why I absolutely hate Craigslist a-holes. My immediate thought was, this dick may have even gave me a 4.8. Pulled a plug and stuck my scope in there and luckily it has dished pistons. The 4.8 has flat tops.

So now I know what I have and I need to do more upgrades than I wanted. Time to tear into it and send it off to machine shop. I'm gonna have it bored, honed, magnafluxed, decked, and mains line bored.

View attachment 83698

View attachment 83699

View attachment 83700

Then I test fit my swap mount plates and mounts. I'm not using the clamshell mounts, I have something else that will be better.

View attachment 83701

View attachment 83702
My 03 has dbw. If I'm not mistaken, every 4.8 had the 862 heads, including my old 4.8. Did they put those in the 5.3 too? I've read the 862 heads flow really well.

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
I'll be back with updates as soon as they happen. Some parts are ordered and block going in on Wednesday. I'll spill one secret, I got a set of LS3 heads for $600. New rods are ordered and I'm gonna be working on making a bracket to use my AC compressor from the 99 and move alternator to passenger side.

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
My 03 has dbw. If I'm not mistaken, every 4.8 had the 862 heads, including my old 4.8. Did they put those in the 5.3 too? I've read the 862 heads flow really well.

Yes, they used them heads on the 4.8. But they also have the smallest valves, runners and combustion chamber. I edited the above post, I looked at pistons and it is a 5.3 for sure.

I don't know what I was thinking about the DBW being 05+, maybe it was when it was only DBW. This is my first LS build. I've worked on them. modified them but never knew all the changes until recently when I started looking for one. Hard lesson learned for sure.

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
I'll try to make this quick but also include details so you can see how things transpired. But anyone that's seen my posts realize that I can be long winded at times.

Not sure if I shared that I bought and sold a few vehicles after I got the Denali up and running. I won't go into all of them but I will tell you about the one that had the biggest impact on me.

I found a 95 Tahoe that had 138k miles. It was 2wd but was clean. A friend of mine turned me on to it. Just had a bunch of new parts put into it but needed a cat and a tie rod. I ended up putting shocks on it all the way around, removing cat and welded a pipe in and replaced all 4 tie rods and adjusting sleeves.

IMG_9302.PNG

IMG_9304.PNG

Telling me images are too large. These are the only ones that would upload. Can prob resize but it's irrelevant. I'll cut to the chase.

I picked up this truck for $600 and gave my friend $100 for turning me onto it. So I did some work to it and then listed it for sale for $2800 thinking I would come down to $2200. While this was listed for sale I've been asking my close friend's son to sell me his Firebird Formula. He wouldn't. The story goes he had it over heat on him and then lost oil pressure and he kept telling me he was going to rebuild engine. Anyway, he was over one day looking at Tahoe because he wanted an SUV that he can fit his family into. I was ready to make him a deal on it and then it hit me that this would be a great opportunity to try and get my dick beaters on that Formula. I told him that I still wanted the Bird and we can work out a deal. Before I put my foot in my mouth and offered him the Hoe and $1000 he said he would trade me even up. Great!! He came back with title and he drove away with the Tahoe and I had to go trailer the Firebird home.

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Now I know what your thinking, what's this have to do with the Denali? I'm getting there.

The Bird has been sitting for 4.5 years. When it was parked it had a new water pump, optispark, complete exhaust and a clutch put in 4 months before he "blew it up".

IMG_9140.JPG

IMG_9138.JPG

IMG_9139.JPG

It came with stock wheels and corvette wheels. Tires were garbage tho.

IMG_9150.JPG

Long story short, the engine is fine! Ended up being a bad oil cooler/filter adapter and the radiator is bad.

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
I wanted a 6 speed car but one that doesn't require emissions. I like the 98-02 front end better along with the rear tail lights and high rear spoiler. So I'm converting this to look like the 98-02. I replaced the center console with one from a 98 because the little cubby in front of the shifter and a few little differences.

IMG_9210.JPG

I fabbed up a tray and mounted battery in trunk.

IMG_9234.JPG

I picked up some new tires. Got some Nitto 555R drag radials for rear in a 305/35R18 and Nitto 555G2 fronts in a 275/40r17. Paid more for these then I did for tires on Denali.

IMG_9291.JPG

The 305's won't fit without some inner fender love, with a sledge hammer and I had to roll the fenders to keep them from hitting the tire.

IMG_9261.JPG

The brakes were rusty from sitting. Pads still had some meat on them but I wasn't having it.

IMG_9292.JPG

I ordered a bunch more parts, lowering springs, panhard bar, LS engine K-member, torque bar, front and rear lower control arms and sway bars. Picking up full leather interior on Saturday from a craigslist score and going to look at a 99 roller for the body parts for conversion. Then it'll be off to paint.

So as you can see I've been spending money like an idiot and that doesn't include all the wedding preparations which is happening 9-9-17.

As for Denali, I started listing engine parts for sale on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace to recoup some of my cost on this Bird and to continue with LS swap on Denali and then find another LS for the Bird. I was contacted by a guy thru Facebook via instant message and he asked if I would sell him the entire Denali. I said no, I have too much into it especially the engine. He said he had an engine, how bout selling it without engine. I said no, I had PCM swapped with wiring harness modified for injectors and PCM swap. He said he would fix all that, he just wanted the entire rig. I said no, there's no way he could possibly give me enough to justify selling it. I have new shocks, fuel pump, front end, tires, fuel lines, alternator, ac compressor, window motors and on and on, you guys know. He talked me into letting him come look at it. He came over that weekend which was 2 weekends ago and went over the truck with his son. He said the truck is clean as his newer truck and he wanted it. Said he would give me $3000 without engine. I said I couldn't do that. He said if I fixed PCM harness and included the engine that lost oil pressure he would give me $3500. I couldn't refuse it. I needed the money for the wedding and the Bird so it went. Hated to see it go. I'm still mad at myself but I have more room and money for parts.

mtl111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sad to see the Denali project done with now, but I like the Bird!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan