98 2wd 4dr 5.3 swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeDrifteR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What's up guys, I made this account forever ago and have been inactive since not long after it's creation.
I have a 1998 four door, two wheel drive Tahoe LT. It has 308,000 miles on the original engine, the body and frame are straight and rust free and there interior is ok. A few spilled drink stains on the carpet, the typical tear on the driver's seat side and I pulled the whole headliner and pad out after the fabric started sagging from lots of windows down interstate driving. It has been in a moderate front end collision, but has been repaired, although the hood and one fender are flat black still and it's got a cheap grille and headlights for now.

It has been sitting for a couple years because it needs an intake gasket, (imagine that) possibly head gaskets/heads checked, the spider injector and 0² sensors or possibly some wiring work.
My buddy and I were talking about it the other day and decided that it probably wouldn't be much more expensive to swap a 5.3 in it than to fix all that, plus I want to keep the truck forever as it has a lot of sentimental value and swapping it makes more sense in the long term than patching together a high mileage 350.

I'm hoping to take lots of pics and maybe some video and have a build thread here.
(Assuming this is the right place. Probably not knowing my luck with forums.)

I'll upload a pic of the truck when it was running great and a video too if I can.

Thanks for taking the time to read!

1048124_10202857924391751_1851279987_o.jpg

OP
OP
TahoeDrifteR

TahoeDrifteR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oh yeah, also forgot to shamelessly plug a project a couple friends and I are trying to start up. Check out The Bearded Garage on Facebook and thebeardedgarage on Instagram. We have a YouTube channel as well, but not much is on it yet. Hoping to change that soon.

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
TahoeDrifteR...You're right down the road from me...
If you're interested, we can link up and compare notes... I went the 383 route rather than swap in a 5.3. Less had to be modified.

I've got 387k on my Tahoe (325k at the time of the motor replacement).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal